That smell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunder2000

Reaction score
Is it just me or does the smell of a fermentation of a friut wine really just smell great. I have a pineapple in its primary that just smells great. I find my self hovering over the top smelling it like fresh baked cookies.

It isn't just you. Sometimes I swear I love the smells of winemaking better than drinking it.

Smurfe :)

There we go .....................

Another winemaker addicted to winemaking not to wine itself...........

Luc

I wonder if the wait until the airlock starts bubbling is a buzz too for others - It still is for me and I'm an old cynic! :D

Smell

every time i start a new batch of wine i cant wait for it to start bubbling

so i cn get that great smell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a year into this wonderful hobby, and sit staring at the airlock like an expectant parent, waiting for those bubbles! Then hover over for those wonderful smells! I LOVE coming into the house when I have a couple of batches fermenting, taking a deep sniff, knowing there's wine in the works!

The nice aroma of fermentation definitely helps me enjoy the wait for it to finish.

I love the smell. Brings back so many memories of my childhood and wine making experiences. I am thinking about marketing it in a spray can!

It would be great if they made an air freshener for the car that had the "smell"! Then again, if you get pulled over it might make for some interesting questions from the police :)

Ok so there's nothing wrong with me then. I have been hovering over my primary every few minutes just enjoying sight of those bubbles and the wonderful smell throughout the house.

I'm gonna enjoy this hobby.

Hobbyiswine, I never thought of an air freshener for a car. You have me thinking now: fresh baked bread; frying peppers, garlic and onions; homemade sauce simmering on the range; pizza right out of the oven! I think we are on to something here.

YES YES YES to all the above!!

Rocky, it is amazing how a smell can take you back 40 years. My grandparents used to make wine when I was a kid.

I got my first batch going in a primary and went off to work. Nothing fancy just Welches. The next day when I returned home and walked into my house the aroma that filled my basement took me back to the carefree days of my youth.

RR

Last edited:
YES YES YES to all the above!!

Rocky, it is amazing how a smell can take you back 40 years. My grandparents used to make wine when I was a kid.

I got my first batch going in a primary and went off to work. Nothing fancy just Welches. The next day when I returned home and walked into my house the aroma that filled my basement took me back to the carefree days of my youth.

RR

Si, Tutto è buono! All that we need now is for Tom to make up a batch of gnoochi's and what the heck, he might as well make some pesto. Yes they were simpler times.

Ciao

I too love walking into the house and smelling the fermenting wine. Such an awesome smell!

I do love that smell as well...although I'm still not sure if I like it as much as my cocker spaniel does :)

I have 2 different batches brewing as we speak, I absolutely love the aroma of fermentation, and my family doesn't mind too much either!....as long as we don't get a stinky sulfur smell.

The wife and I went to Perdido Vineyards in Alabama, and walking through that place was so nice. When I got into making the wine, I started getting that same aroma in that area of the house. So nice. When I vacuum the wine from one CB to another, the exhaust of the pump sends it throughout the house. I've got some of the wine sucked into the suction canister so every once in a while, between racking cycles, I'll turn on the pump just to renew that smell in my lab.

I've got some of the wine sucked into the suction canister so every once in a while, between racking cycles, I'll turn on the pump just to renew that smell in my lab.

You could auction that off here! LOL!

Latest posts

Back