thanksgiving wine.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dozer

Junior
Reaction score
So my apple juice dark brown sugar experiment has been fermenting twenty days today. When I rack this first time should I let it splash or flow at the bottom gently? My reason for wondering is there are an awful lot of bubbles still kicking up and the airlock goes every 3 or 4 seconds and has been that way since around day 14 before it was a bubble a second. I know I need to take a reading but I hate losing a sample out of a gallon as well as the risk of contaminating the cider/wine whatever you prefer to call it. My plan was to rack tonight and crash until the night before thanks giving when I'll bottle. I just need a dead ahead explanation if where I need to be taking thing's. Usually my batches are white sugar ferment fast and clear well in their own. This ones a different deal. Thanks in advance.

I know I need to take a reading but I hate losing a sample out of a gallon as well as the risk of contaminating the cider/wine whatever you prefer to call it.

You do not need to lose a sample to measure the SG. You can sanitize the cylinder and hydrometer that you use to measure the SG, then return the sample to batch when you are done.

I made two batches of lilac wine this spring using the same white sugar based recipe and fermenting in the same place with the same brand/date yeast. One took 4 weeks, one took two. I don't know why. Then in the bottle I noticed sediment forming, popped the cork, and found it was the 4 week batch fermenting again. I used to be confident with my "rustic" ways. I now own and use hydrometers.

Latest posts

Back