thanksgiving wine.

Discussion in 'Beginners Wine Making Forum' started by dozer, Nov 17, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Nov 17, 2019 #1

dozer

dozer

dozer

Junior

So my apple juice dark brown sugar experiment has been fermenting twenty days today. When I rack this first time should I let it splash or flow at the bottom gently? My reason for wondering is there are an awful lot of bubbles still kicking up and the airlock goes every 3 or 4 seconds and has been that way since around day 14 before it was a bubble a second. I know I need to take a reading but I hate losing a sample out of a gallon as well as the risk of contaminating the cider/wine whatever you prefer to call it. My plan was to rack tonight and crash until the night before thanks giving when I'll bottle. I just need a dead ahead explanation if where I need to be taking thing's. Usually my batches are white sugar ferment fast and clear well in their own. This ones a different deal. Thanks in advance.

2. Nov 18, 2019 #2

sour_grapes

sour_grapes

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

You do not need to lose a sample to measure the SG. You can sanitize the cylinder and hydrometer that you use to measure the SG, then return the sample to batch when you are done.

winemaker81 and Scooter68 like this.
  3. Nov 18, 2019 #3

salcoco

salcoco

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker WMT Supporter

hydrometer measurement is necessary. 14 days should have om completed fermentation. rack as normal.

4. Nov 18, 2019 #4

JTS84

JTS84

JTS84

Junior

I made two batches of lilac wine this spring using the same white sugar based recipe and fermenting in the same place with the same brand/date yeast. One took 4 weeks, one took two. I don't know why. Then in the bottle I noticed sediment forming, popped the cork, and found it was the 4 week batch fermenting again. I used to be confident with my "rustic" ways. I now own and use hydrometers.