Testing Kmeta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I mix a bottle of Star San and keep it for a while, I can always look at the PH to check the viability of the solution. Is there a way to check a potassium Metabisulphite solution to make sure it is still a sanitizing agent?

My understanding is the gaseous SO2 is the actual sanitizing agent, not the liquid. As long as it reeks and the liquid is clear and mostly free of chunks, I keep re-using it. When a gallon gets down to about half, or it doesn't look good, I replace it. In general this is about every 6 months, although I've used it up sooner. A few times I've kept a jug for 12 months, and it reeked as badly the day I dumped it as the day I made it.

For safety, never sniff ANY chemical mixture. Waft your hand over the mouth of the jug towards your nose and sniff very lightly. If the K-meta reeks, the gaseous SO2 is certainly present.

NEVER sniff deeply of K-meta, as it will burn your lungs!!! I run a fan when using it, and open the windows if the season and weather allows.

I should probably switch to Star San, but habit keeps me using K-meta.

My understanding is the gaseous SO2 is the actual sanitizing agent, not the liquid. As long as it reeks and the liquid is clear and mostly free of chunks, I keep re-using it. When a gallon gets down to about half, or it doesn't look good, I replace it. In general this is about every 6 months, although I've used it up sooner. A few times I've kept a jug for 12 months, and it reeked as badly the day I dumped it as the day I made it.

For safety, never sniff ANY chemical mixture. Waft your hand over the mouth of the jug towards your nose and sniff very lightly. If the K-meta reeks, the gaseous SO2 is certainly present.

NEVER sniff deeply of K-meta, as it will burn your lungs!!! I run a fan when using it, and open the windows if the season and weather allows.

I should probably switch to Star San, but habit keeps me using K-meta.
Thanks. I am familiar with the smell and wouldn’t dare sniff directly.

Thanks. I am familiar with the smell and wouldn’t dare sniff directly.
I expected that.

While replying directly to you, I'm also writing for everyone else who will read this thread. I used to make the joke, "sniff deeply -- if you're still alive the K-meta has gone bad", but I'm cautious about saying that as someone will try it! Instead of the Tide Pod Challenge, we'll have idiots trying the "K-meta Challenge"!
:slp

I find there's no shortage of folks in competition for a Darwin Award.

I expected that.

While replying directly to you, I'm also writing for everyone else who will read this thread. I used to make the joke, "sniff deeply -- if you're still alive the K-meta has gone bad", but I'm cautious about saying that as someone will try it! Instead of the Tide Pod Challenge, we'll have idiots trying the "K-meta Challenge"!

While we are on the subject, I have seen wine makers spray and rinse. Which seems in my mind to defeat the purpose of using a sanitizer in the first place, or spray and let air dry for 5-10 minutes. What is your practice?

I expected that.

But Brian, how else are going to clean up the gene pool? 😄😄😄

But Brian, how else are going to clean up the gene pool? 😄😄😄
Hasn't things like the Tide Pod Challenge made you realize that the pool is self-cleaning???
🙃

Ya know, I did some amazingly stupid things as a child, teenager, and young adult -- but eating laundry detergent never would have crossed my mind.

OTOH, folk may not realize how strong K-meta fumes are -- but after making that mistake once, they'd (hopefully) not do it twice.

Back