Testing Free SO2 in Different Carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignoble Grape

Reaction score
Hi! Got my fantastic vinmetric this week and spent the morning playing with it.

I have 20 gallons Merlot, same vintage, in 4 carboys. In the spirit of science, I went ahead and tested all of them and found that they were all really close in free SO2 ppm, no real varience.

Question to the group: If you have the same lot divided into several different containers, do you test one and run with that number for the whole batch, or do you test all of them individually?

I don’t have a means of testing free SO2.
But you’ve got a sample of one that points to the fact that it’s not worth testing more than one batch.
Why not go through the trouble of testing another batch or two, and convince yourself this wasn’t a fluke?
I’d love to hear the results for when I get the means.

an additional question is do us Vinmetrica owners bother testing every racking?
Question to the group: If you have the same lot divided into several different containers, do you test one and run with that number or do you test all of them individually?
I have listened to comments as “it doesn’t matter what the bucket is, it only matters when he did first racking”. Logical since it is aerobic. Likewise the winemaker conference comment “first racking is still blowing off CO2 so it isn’t critical “

I don’t bother to test everything. ,(batch size 1 carboy and small left over as 1.5 liter) , ,and I probably add too much at racking . That said, It makes sense to know what SO2 is for any long term storage ex mead held a year with a bung or corked bottles

an additional question is do us Vinmetrica owners bother testing every racking?

I have listened to comments as “it doesn’t matter what the bucket is, it only matters when he did first racking”. Logical since it is aerobic. Likewise the winemaker conference comment “first racking is still blowing off CO2 so it isn’t critical “

I don’t bother to test everything. ,(batch size 1 carboy and small left over as 1.5 liter) , ,and I probably add too much at racking . That said, It makes sense to know what SO2 is for any long term storage ex mead held a year with a bung or corked bottles
I hadn't thought that far ahead into the future, but what you say makes sense. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back