Tested my old hyd

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Jim

Junior
Reaction score
I've got two hyds left over from many moons ago. One is a 0 to 20 and is labeled as being calibrated at 60*F. I filled my beaker with bottled water and eased the hyd in. It parked at 1.000, dead on. I stuck a calibrated digitherm in it and it showed 71.6&F. I checked the temp with two other calibrated digitherms and got 71.6 on one and 71.5 on the last.

I can't contest the numbers. Court is in session.

20 might not be enough, you might want to investigate the triple scale kind, they can read higher than 20. I don't have mine in front of me so I can't tell you how much more.
I won't ever be looking for an ABV higher than 20. Many years ago I did, but I don't do that anymore.

I have had a few of these over the years and have to say they are not the most accurate things, but are real close.
they seem to be accurate to themselves, in other words what ever they are off to another they stay the same all over the scale.
In that way they are giving you good info about what your wine is doing even if it is a few points off. We have to admit that at the 5 to 7 dollars price point we are not buying precision meters.
currently I have 2, even the scales are different lengths. They read about 1 point off off it is before fermentation or after so I know they are both accurate to themselves and not wanting to invest into a really expensive unit I consider that good enough. Kinda like college chemistry class when they asked for answers in significant digits, how accurate do we need to be as long as the scale is accurate to itself.

Well said! The home hydrometer is cheap. You could get a research grade and add another digest if it is really important. HOWEVER there is enough variation in fermentation that +/-.001 really doesn’t matter.
In that way they are giving you good info about what your wine is doing even if it is a few points off. We have to admit that at the 5 to 7 dollars price point we are not buying precision meters.
currently I have 2, even the scales are different lengths. They read about 1 point off off it is before fermentation or after so I know they are both accurate to themselves and not wanting to invest into a really expensive unit I consider that good enough.

Latest posts

Back