terribly sweet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopin

Reaction score
I have made wine just 6 or 7 times.
So I am a total amator. I know that.
But somehow I have come up with a decent wine.
This last time something strange happened.
A week ago I crushed some grapes and began the usual process.
I have to say that all the other times I haven't used neither yeast nor sugar, but everything went fine, at least for me. And the same for this last time.
So after 8 days I wanted to do that famous racking trying to pass the wine through a tube to the other vessel. Anyway, when I tried, damn, it was so terribly sweet I couldn't believe it. It seemed as if I had put gallons of sugar in it. I have to say that this time, the temperature has been lower than 20 grade celsius, sorry I am not familiar with fahrenheit, and I didn't notice the usual signs of fermentation, like bubbles, foam, increasing of the must etc.
And here in my country I can't find the instruments you mention here. So I cant say too much details in numbers.
The only thing I can say is that grapes were really very sweet since I drank some cups when I was crushing them. Now what might have happened?
is it that fermentation has never occured or what? And if this is the case, does it make sense to prepare some yeast now and throw it in?
Sorry for making it so long.

Thank you

You could try. You will want to warm it up so that the yeast havea fighting chance of starting though!

It is sweet because you didn't have any fermentation and still have grape juice. 20C is 68F. You say you didn't add any yeast? I think that temp will be a bit on the cool side for the natural yeast to kick in. Did the temps stay at a steady 20C or did it get cooler at night? I am also guessing you added no sulfites, just crushed the grapes and let them go with no other additives, manipulation or anything? Did you wash the grapes before you crushed them? I would say if the must hasn't soured yet and you have a packet of yeast you might throw that in there. I would add some sulfites 24 hours or so before if you have yeast to add.

Yes, Smurfe and Wade, the temperature has been 15 to 17, at night may be lower.
Yesterday, right after I tried and post the thread, I prepared a packed of yeast and throw it in the must and, I don't know why, I added the liquid of 5 lemons.
I put an airlock and went in the kitchen doing some stuff for 20 minutes.
And when I got back, the the airlock was inflated.
Smurfe, unfortunately I can't find any sulfites here. As I have posted in another thread, here in my country, amators like me use thas salycilc acid which I don't use at all.
Anyway, now it is obvious that fermentation has started.
Do you think that first week passed in vain would have anny effect on the last result?

Thanks for your answers

It is sweet because you didn't have any fermentation and still have grape juice. 20C is 68F. You say you didn't add any yeast? I think that temp will be a bit on the cool side for the natural yeast to kick in. Did the temps stay at a steady 20C or did it get cooler at night? I am also guessing you added no sulfites, just crushed the grapes and let them go with no other additives, manipulation or anything? Did you wash the grapes before you crushed them? I would say if the must hasn't soured yet and you have a packet of yeast you might throw that in there. I would add some sulfites 24 hours or so before if you have yeast to add.

I'm with you, Smurfe. Add some yeast to this bad boy. Apparently, the natural yeast had been shocked.

Latest posts

Back