Tempranillo and H2S

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marino

Reaction score
Uh oh--

I let my 5 lugs of Tempranillo (all in 20 gal brute) from Saturday to Sunday night at 60F and pitched Lalzyme for 8hrs CLOS yeast using goFerm. Starting ph was 3.8 1.096SG. Temps got to 75F this morning when I saw the first real cap. Punched down.

Came home and I'm smelling H2S.

Added FermaidK at 1.056. (Late?) but that's where it was when I got home from work.

The fermentation seems active. The smell is pleasant until I get up close. I punched down and racked a few times from bucket to bucket to maybe get it to blow off. I have seen this suggestion for H2S post-ferment, but am not sure what to do during fermentation.

This is my first time with this many pounds in the same fermenter. Did I not give this thing enough room to breathe lol?

I'd be grateful for any tips to change course!

Thanks

Uh oh--

I let my 5 lugs of Tempranillo (all in 20 gal brute) from Saturday to Sunday night at 60F and pitched Lalzyme for 8hrs CLOS yeast using goFerm. Starting ph was 3.8 1.096SG. Temps got to 75F this morning when I saw the first real cap. Punched down.

Came home and I'm smelling H2S.

Added FermaidK at 1.056. (Late?) but that's where it was when I got home from work.

The fermentation seems active. The smell is pleasant until I get up close. I punched down and racked a few times from bucket to bucket to maybe get it to blow off. I have seen this suggestion for H2S post-ferment, but am not sure what to do during fermentation.

This is my first time with this many pounds in the same fermenter. Did I not give this thing enough room to breathe lol?

I'd be grateful for any tips to change course!

Thanks

First dose of nutrients is normally given just after lag phase, second dose around where your dose was given. Sounds like you caught it plenty soon enough, just keep the must on a regular punchdown schedule, this will help aerate it and release any residual H2S.

Thanks John--will more violent racking /aeration help? I read that it can make it worse. I was thinking id do more splash racking when I get home later but don't wanna make it worse

Did you ad any Fermaid at the onset of fermentation? Typically, that's the first dose, with another being at 1/3 sugar depletion. 18-24 hours after that Fermaid dose, you should notice a decrease/elimination in the H2S.

I didn't add any at the onset. I caught it too late. When I was punching down this morning, the smell was less intense but still there. One thing I'm worried about is that the fruitiness has fallen way back. Will more nutrients help the situation? DAP?

Back