Temperature

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m making a Riesling. It’s been in primary over night and is at 80*. Is that too warm? I’m a bit skiddish because my basement is 60* and last year I had a stuck fermentation that I could not jump start. I have a heat belt on it and it’s fermenting very nicely.

What yeast are you using? Most typically like it around 70-75ish. This happened to me with my Riesling; it got up to around 82 so I ended up having to make a swamp cooler to regulate it.

I keep my shop at 60 all winter and did 7 batches this winter and do not even own a brew belt. It might extend the time it takes to ferment but I’ve never had a problem getting one started or finished.

I’m making a Riesling. It’s been in primary over night and is at 80*. Is that too warm? I’m a bit skiddish because my basement is 60* and last year I had a stuck fermentation that I could not jump start. I have a heat belt on it and it’s fermenting very nicely.

Slower fermentations below 70 are what preserve the "aromatic" components in Rieslings. It should be happy in your basement.

1) After fermentation starts the process generates enough heat in a 60 degree room that no addition heat is needed.
2) White wines are best fermented at lower temps (Lowest possible) because their aromas and 'essences' are more easily blown off at higher temps.

Latest posts

Back