Quantcast

Temperature

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

wineview

Reaction score
I’m making a Riesling. It’s been in primary over night and is at 80*. Is that too warm? I’m a bit skiddish because my basement is 60* and last year I had a stuck fermentation that I could not jump start. I have a heat belt on it and it’s fermenting very nicely.

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Take the belt off, I’d rather have a slow fermentation than a hot one. You’ll loose flavor that way.

skyfire322

Reaction score
What yeast are you using? Most typically like it around 70-75ish. This happened to me with my Riesling; it got up to around 82 so I ended up having to make a swamp cooler to regulate it.

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I keep my shop at 60 all winter and did 7 batches this winter and do not even own a brew belt. It might extend the time it takes to ferment but I’ve never had a problem getting one started or finished.

Chuck E

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m making a Riesling. It’s been in primary over night and is at 80*. Is that too warm? I’m a bit skiddish because my basement is 60* and last year I had a stuck fermentation that I could not jump start. I have a heat belt on it and it’s fermenting very nicely.
Slower fermentations below 70 are what preserve the "aromatic" components in Rieslings. It should be happy in your basement.

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
1) After fermentation starts the process generates enough heat in a 60 degree room that no addition heat is needed.
2) White wines are best fermented at lower temps (Lowest possible) because their aromas and 'essences' are more easily blown off at higher temps.

wineview

Reaction score
What yeast are you using? Most typically like it around 70-75ish. This happened to me with my Riesling; it got up to around 82 so I ended up having to make a swamp cooler to regulate it.
EC1118