Temperature

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustynail

Junior
Reaction score
So I have been making wine from kits and in general very pleased with the results. However, I have been using a space heater to keep my processing in the 72-74 degree range (chilly basement}. This has driven my electric bill through the roof! Can someone make suggestions on a better method to keep my primary fermenter and carboys warm?

Rusty

So I have been making wine from kits and in general very pleased with the results. However, I have been using a space heater to keep my processing in the 72-74 degree range (chilly basement}. This has driven my electric bill through the roof! Can someone make suggestions on a better method to keep my primary fermenter and carboys warm?

Rusty

Buy a brew belt, it wraps around the fermenter and plugs into the wall, sort of like a heating pad.

How cold would the area be with no heat added? I ferment in my basement, temps in winter are around 62-65 F. It might take a day or two more. All depends on the temp restrictions of your yeast.

You're right, I've always thought it was the temp of the wine not the fermentation room. I ferment mine in a controlled environment of 60-65* intentionally but the wine temp is always over 70*.

Thanks everyone. I have thought I needed to follow the instructions that came with the kits. They are always saying 72+ degrees. I assumed that was the temp required for the yeast to work correctly.

I use a cheap aquarium heater in the primary to keep it at a constant temp. .

Thanks everyone. I have thought I needed to follow the instructions that came with the kits. They are always saying 72+ degrees. I assumed that was the temp required for the yeast to work correctly.

The kits are trying to get you to blow thru the ferment as quick as possible. That way you might make (buy) another kit sooner. If you have it in the 60's it should ferment just fine, mite take a few days longer than the instructions say. Good luck with it, Arne.

The aquarium heater works great for getting them started, once you have an active ferment you are fine with ambient temperatures in the 60's, I have done white Rieslings in the low 50s or high 40s, it can take months to ferment dry through.

Keep in mind that the "best" fermentation temperature depends on yeast tolerance AND Wine variety (White vs Red(Dark))

Most reds are fine fermenting at higher temps.

Many people like to ferment White wines at the lowest possible temperatures.

I didn't see reference to the type wine you are making.

I do all my wine in back room of basement and if the temp drops to low I put a heating pad around and it works really good. I have been doing this for 3 years now.
I use the most on white's or blushing wines

A Red isn't likely to be 'hurt' by higher temps.
Lower temps normally help preserve more of the lighter or more volatile essences. That's why whites with their more delicate characteristics are favored for lower temp ferments.

Latest posts

Back