Temperature question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toby07

Junior
Reaction score
I am thinking of starting to make wine - thought I would buy a kit to get started but my question is, can I even do this without having a basement. I live in Ohio and house is on a slab with central home heating/air. How do I have a place to do this with constant lower temperatures without a basement?

Are you worried about the storing of the bottles or the making of the wine or both? To ferment the wine you will want temps around low to mid 70's but if cooler you can use a brew belt which is about $20 and you wrap it around your primary bucket and carboy to keep the temps up and it uses very little electricity so no worry there. if you are worried about the storing of the bottles after fermentation then all you really need is stable temps with little to no light or vibrations. I wouldnt plan on storing wine for 10 years in this environment but a couple will work ok and thats all most of us have. Welcome to our side of the net Toby!

I am thinking of starting to make wine - thought I would buy a kit to get started but my question is, can I even do this without having a basement. I live in Ohio and house is on a slab with central home heating/air. How do I have a place to do this with constant lower temperatures without a basement?
There are plenty of us who live either on a slab or crawl space that make wine. If talking about storage keep in box's on the floor. If talking about fermenting then like what Wade said.

I was gonna say sort of the same. But if you decide to make a cellar, make sure the little woman is visiting her aunt out west. get a couple cases of beer and dig a cellar!!

I live in a 12x22 foot cabin and make plenty of wine. I have never bottled any of it. I know. beat me silly.

But the point is, learn how to make it and then come back and ask how to age it. For now get a batch going! we'll help you along. If you like beer, the process is almost identical, same thing, diferent process, Same patience.

Hope you lots of success. Patience Patience, Patience, (Sorry Tom, I used your three main points!!LOL)

TROY, you surprise me.. It actually sunk in :slp! LOL
Now how about the 3 "T's"? Something YOU do I'm sure LOL :db

Actually beer doesnt take much patience at all especially if you keg it, it can be in the keg and carbed in about 3-4 weeks.

I was gonna say sort of the same. But if you decide to make a cellar, make sure the little woman is visiting her aunt out west. get a couple cases of beer and dig a cellar!!

I live in a 12x22 foot cabin and make plenty of wine. I have never bottled any of it. I know. beat me silly.

But the point is, learn how to make it and then come back and ask how to age it. For now get a batch going! we'll help you along. If you like beer, the process is almost identical, same thing, diferent process, Same patience.

Hope you lots of success. Patience Patience, Patience, (Sorry Tom, I used your three main points!!LOL)

Troy, I'd be interested to learn more about how you make and enjoy your wines. Do you sample and enjoy them at different ages? How do you serve up your wine? I'm assuming they're in carboys.

Okay. I will never admit this again!! Leanne will be here in just a few weeks and I will never beable to do this again.

I am at a risk for even admitting this.

No matter what you are making, ferment it down to like 1.010 and siphon it off an freeze it. Drink it as it thaws. No, I know I should be smacked silly for even suggesting this, but at that point, you have alcohol.

If I ever figure out how to have the patience to get it into a botttle, you will be the first to know.

Green, who said I make wine? I like alcohol and love those who make wine. I am a beer drinker, some day I hope to make some. I only hang out here because yall seemed like some pretty good folk.

if you believe any of this your wine has turned out well!!

Oh yeah the three T's. taste taste, taste, tip over and Taste again!!!!!!! thats eight T's, never mind!

I know how to fly, doesn't mean I am a certified Flight Instructor. I never said I made a sucessful batch, and I have, bottled it. All I ever said is that I knew how!

Last edited:
I'm still an FNG at this, but I'd suggest starting with the manufacturer's recommended fermentation temp.

Okay. I will never admit this again!! Leanne will be here in just a few weeks and I will never beable to do this again.

I am at a risk for even admitting this.

No matter what you are making, ferment it down to like 1.010 and siphon it off an freeze it. Drink it as it thaws. No, I know I should be smacked silly for even suggesting this, but at that point, you have alcohol.

If I ever figure out how to have the patience to get it into a botttle, you will be the first to know.

Green, who said I make wine? I like alcohol and love those who make wine. I am a beer drinker, some day I hope to make some. I only hang out here because yall seemed like some pretty good folk.

if you believe any of this your wine has turned out well!!

Oh yeah the three T's. taste taste, taste, tip over and Taste again!!!!!!! thats eight T's, never mind!

I know how to fly, doesn't mean I am a certified Flight Instructor. I never said I made a sucessful batch, and I have, bottled it. All I ever said is that I knew how!

Hmmmm, guess there might be a few changes coming your way honey!:)

Latest posts

Back