Temperature probe and silicone stopper seal

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob S

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Have a white going on at the moment now about 1\3 sugar depletion and soon will be even more important that carboy contents ferment anaerobically. I have it in the fridge with heating belt and probe in the juice with temp controller regulating the temp. The probe wire and silicone stopper are an issue as the ferm loc does not bubble so it is not making a good seal. Can you suggest a way to make a better seal? I could tape the probe to the side of the carboy and put some styrofoam over it but not sure if temp probe will detect correct enough the temperature when the fridge is cooling?

Thanks,

Rob S

The probe doesn't need to be inside the carboy. I use a wired temp gauge that has a small probe on the end. Just get a Kleenex and fold it up till its a little bigger than the probe place on top of the probe and get some duct tape and tape it to the out side wall of the carboy. It will track the temp perfectly close enough.

Ah yes happy to hear that will work and others are doing it that way. I did something similar in the past but was not sure though if would be accurate enough. Thanks for the reassurance.

Happy winemaking,

Rob

Back