RJ Spagnols Temperature for kit wine making

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tipsy

Reaction score
I have mostly made RJS kits but we have recently been making a couple of WinXpert and Vineco kits and I am wondering about a difference in the directions that I recently noticed. We generally make the kits in a controlled temp space around 22 deg C, and then after we put in the clearing agents we move them to a cooler area that runs at about 16C or 61F. The instructions for the winexpert and Vineco both say to let them sit in a warmer space until bottling, 20-25C or 68-77F. RJS says 59-66F or 15-19C. I know that wine storage is best at the lower temp, but if I am letting them sit for 3 months or so til bottling, and use the AIO pump for degassing, I am thinking the lower temp is better. Is the higher temps on the winexpert directions just to make sure they degas properly? I just find that its strange that the directions are so different. Thoughts?

I personally don't think it makes much difference if you are only waiting 3 months to bottle. The higher temps will help it degas faster and the lower will allow the sediment to fall out faster. Some say higher temps allow it to age faster and lower temps allow it age more gracefully. But again 3 months won't make that much difference so whatever is easier for you.

I use heat belts, a thermostatic controller and blankets to hold the ferment at 24/25 degrees during the ferment. The room sits around 20 degrees year round which is where everything is unless it has the heat belt attached.

Data point of one but that's what works for me. Occasionally I'll start a fruit wine without the heat belt but I watch and usually get worried because isn't starting as fast as I think it should so I end up adding the heat belt. I probably do 2 or 3 batches a year completely without supplementary heat.

Latest posts

Back