Temperature Control for Winemaking Area

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhopkins

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cleaned out my basement utility area (~800 square feet?) and am thinking to build a winemaking space. One of the first considerations is temperature control. The basement tends to run ~10-12 degrees colder than the first floor, and the utility area cooler than that. Any recommendations on a heating system are welcome.

Cooler than what? What is the normal temp in the area. That's what matters.

Many wine yeasts work well in cooler temps. And you can always just use a wrap or brew-belt to keep the temp up if needed.

I think it is pretty safe to assume he means 10-12F cooler than the first floor of his home.

I'm not sure I'd bother heating it. My winemaking space is similar, much cooler than the house. Sometimes it is uncomfortably cool, but it does have the benefit of helping to keep fermentation temps down - plus, my grape wines will precipitate tartaric on their own over the winter. At the times I need some extra warmth for comfort I run a little space heater by my feet just while I'm working.

Absolutely no need for heat in that work/storage area. Use a brew belt or a heating pad under a primary to keep something warm during fermentation.

Back