Temperature at bottling?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenEnvy22

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've had some wine out in the garage for 10 days cold stabilizing, wine temp is right around 0 degrees Celsius right now.
Planning on bottling tomorrow, are there any issues with bottling it while it's cold? Should I bring it back up to room temperature first?

I know bottles often list a headspace amount on them, adjusted for 20 C, but not sure how much of an effect the temperature changes have.

thanks for any input

My recommendation would be to bring it up to your cellar temps before bottling. Bottling is really the last chance to get any residual CO2 out of the wine and at the freezing point the CO2 is going to be so bound to the wine that you couldn't pry them apart with a crowbar. The other reason is that the wine will expand when it warms up from freezing another 20 degrees and it will likely be enough to push your corks out a bit. Probably not enough to blow them out, but enough to extend them an 1/8th of an inch when it warms up.

If you are doing cs, you need to rack or it will just re absorb as it warms. I'd suggest rack it and move to a warmer space before bottling.

I did participate in a bottling at a winery where the wine, and the rest of us, were all cold since it was 40F and a mobile bottling line. If nothing else, it was cold miserable work, although the company was good:ib

Thanks for the info all. I took a few samples tonight and it's crystal clear (haven't filtered or used fining agents at all on this batch, just racked a few times). I let the samples sit for an hour until they were room temperature and no change in look. I know it probably would take longer for a haze to develop but at least nothing right away.

Since I'm on a time crunch (this is a Christmas gift), I'll still be bottling tomorrow. I placed a space heater in the garage, it won't get it upto normal room temp but will probably get it about half way. This should still be too low for the crystals to reabsorb but not too cold that corks pushing out later should be an issue.

My biggest concern is it refermenting, as this is an incredibly sweet (1.020 due to us mixing back in 1/3 by volume juice we'd frozen when pressing). I did sorbate and adjust sulfites before sweetening, which was about 6 weeks ago, and no change in SG since then, so hopefully all good!

So today I racked from the carboys into two 30L buckets. Got 57L of juice total. Brought those inside and let sit fora couple hours.

I confirmed sugar still at 1.020, Ph now at 3.34 (was 3.20 before cold stabilizing). Sulfites were between 50-55 after racking.

Got 6 cases plus a couple bottles, hopefully the Aunt this is for enjoys it.
I have 2 more carboys of "proper" Dornfelder, deep red and dry, on the go. I'll wait until middle of next year to bottle those most likely.

Latest posts

Back