Temp ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start my 1st batch of wine. I picked up a 4 week kit from fine wines. I think I understand everything that needs to be done.

The only issue I think I'm going to have is keeping the temps down like they should be. In the summer there's no way I'm getting my house that cool with my little window unit.

So, how critical will the temps be? And what is the max temp range I should be in? Any suggestions for keeping it cool?

Mid 70's tops.
Ck with the yeast supplied. different yeast have diferent fermentation temps.

To high a temperature will cause your yeast to either ferment too fast, die, take away flavor from your wine. Could you place your primary into one of those large buckets and you can add some icewater. Just enough to keep temp from getting too high.

First of all, welcome to the forum. Not knowing where it is you are from, I can only suggest if you have a basement that may be a little cooler, you may want to try that.

My house doens't have a basement, most homes in this area don't. They tend to turn into indoor pools around here.

The bucket with ice idea may be a simple way to go. Probably wont be easy to get a exact temp. like that. But, I should be able to get it close.

If I had a extra 400 bucks laying around I'd pick up a portable AC and put it in a closet.

Any other ideas?

We're only talking about a week or so on average. Some require a longer fermentation. It would be great to pick up a used refrigerator and adjust it if possible to cool around 70-75 degrees.

Racinready300ex, if you don't want to narrow down a city, can you please at the least provide a state?
Are you in Salisbury, MD?

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forums RacinReady300ex!
You found a great place to help along in wine making here!
Hopefully you will find a method to keep your fermenter cool, and success to you!!

Tim

Racinready300ex, if you don't want to narrow down a city, can you please at the least provide a state?
Are you in Salisbury, MD?

How did you figure that one out? Yeah, I'm in or at least close to salibury MD.

Someone mentioned a old frige. There is a refigerator in the appartment above me that now one lives in and I have a key. That may work.

I was also thinking of putting a small window unit in bathroom, (smallest room)

i figured with the name you chose here, that you probably used it elsewhere.
So... Google, my friend.

i figured with the name you chose here, that you probably used it elsewhere.
So... Google, my friend.

I figured that's what you did.

Update, I spent a hour last night cleaning the refrigerator in the apartment above me. Made up the wine per instructions, and as of the last time I checked the wine was at 75, I'll check it when I get off work. It's probably a bit cooler now.

I had to know where it was that basements became indoor pools, i figured it was Louisiana.

Yeah, salisbury is on the eastern shore of MD, below DE. It's pretty low here, and we are surrounded by water. There are a few people with basements in the area, but not many.

Checked the temp when I got home it was too low. Cant keep that frige warm enough. It was all the way down to 60 degree's hopefully that wont cause to much trouble.

Now I'm waiting for the temp to come back up and try a little different set up.

Once I get it past the primary I can probably use that frige.

if you have a window unit running keep your primary close to it, I had a friend that done this and it worked great to keep his temps down.

Latest posts

Back