Temp to bulk age in Carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clivis

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all,
Have a kit in the mail and I'm looking forward to starting my winemaking adventure! I've searched regarding bulk aging and this is the route I would like to go. I don't have an ideal room for temps through. I live in a hot state and my coldest room in my house is consistent 70 degrees. Would I be better off bottling so I can age at a refrigerated constant temp? What impact will the higher temp have on the wine? From my reading it seems the fermentation will go faster, however what I can't find what impact that will have on the wine.
Thanks,
Cliff

Hello all,
Have a kit in the mail and I'm looking forward to starting my winemaking adventure! I've searched regarding bulk aging and this is the route I would like to go. I don't have an ideal room for temps through. I live in a hot state and my coldest room in my house is consistent 70 degrees. Would I be better off bottling so I can age at a refrigerated constant temp? What impact will the higher temp have on the wine? From my reading it seems the fermentation will go faster, however what I can't find what impact that will have on the wine.
Thanks,
Cliff
A room in the low to mid 70's is just fine for fermenting, and just fine for storage in bulk or bottles. My personal preference for fermenting is low to mid 70's, you should do great with 70 in your room. It'll go a little faster as you increase the temps, personal preference.

The "perfect" (I hesitate to use the word, but there it is) for bulk / bottle storage is 55F, so whether you are making world class wine or not, it's the best temp. Will you notice any difference in your wine over a few year period as compared to storing it at 70F? I doubt it seriously. Before I had a wine room to store at 55, I stored my wine in bulk and bottles in the 70's as a regular practice, never had any issues whatsoever.

A room in the low to mid 70's is just fine for fermenting, and just fine for storage in bulk or bottles. My personal preference for fermenting is low to mid 70's, you should do great with 70 in your room. It'll go a little faster as you increase the temps, personal preference.

The "perfect" (I hesitate to use the word, but there it is) for bulk / bottle storage is 55F, so whether you are making world class wine or not, it's the best temp. Will you notice any difference in your wine over a few year period as compared to storing it at 70F? I doubt it seriously. Before I had a wine room to store at 55, I stored my wine in bulk and bottles in the 70's as a regular practice, never had any issues whatsoever.

Thanks John. I have a wine fridge with space for a few batches assuming the yield is roughly 30 bottles, but would rather have the consistency of the bulk age.

Latest posts

Back