TCA - From Amazon Corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aiserock

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I spent some time babying a wine kit for over a year bulk aging to only end up smelling musty once opening a bottle. I thought it might have been bottle shock but I'm certain it has something to do with the corks now because I noticed on a skeeter pee batch too. Funny thing is, I just recently learned about TCA from corks watching a whisk(e)y tribe video they put out using smell to detect bad things and TCA was one of them.

Funny, the things we learn by doing, anyway; where would one get corks that aren't TCA causing? I've read a little on the synthetic corks but those get mixed reviews. Is there a way to test corks before using them?

I've been using Nomacorcs for a few years and love them. I have the 1.5" Select 900 -- if the description doesn't include the part #, assume it's the Select 900. They are rated for 5 years, and I suspect I'll get at least 7 out of them. Not that many bottles will avoid consumption by that time ...

@CDrew, @WineMaker,

Where do you purchase these from? I see some on Amazon but I noticed some reviews show that these are being counterfeited, one guy even cut the corks in half to show the differences.

I went to the Nomacorc website, asked for some samples but haven't requested an order yet, they seem to cater to bigger Vintners.

Where do you purchase these from?
I purchased from Midwest Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies via Amazon. Stick with known vendors that have real web sites.

I contacted Nomacorc as well, and was ignored. If you're not a commercial winery buying 10,000 corks, don't expect a response.

BTW -- when tagging someone, ensure you use the correct ID. Mine is "winemaker81", so someone else (who hasn't been on in 10 years) got the tag. 🤪

TCA is nasty if you taste the wine it will bind on your tongue and you can’t clean your mouth (at Winemaker Magazine tasting course it took an hour till I got rid of TCA). Moldy smell is not TCA.
Scott Labs has a process where they heat treat corks which removes the contaminant.
TCA is a reaction product between chlorine (bleach) and the mold.
. . I just recently learned about TCA from corks watching a whisk(e)y tribe video they put out using smell to detect bad things and TCA was one of them.
Funny, the things we learn by doing, anyway; where would one get corks that aren't TCA causing? I've read a little on the synthetic corks but those get mixed reviews. Is there a way to test corks before using them?

TCA is nasty if you taste the wine it will bind on your tongue and you can’t clean your mouth (at Winemaker Magazine tasting course it took an hour till I got rid of TCA). Moldy smell is not TCA.
Scott Labs has a process where they heat treat corks which removes the contaminant.
TCA is a reaction product between chlorine (bleach) and the mold.

^This. If you decant a bottle of the wine and the musty odor dissipates, you don't have cork taint. I call that smell "barrel-y" for lack of a better word. I have noticed some wet corks will naturally develop a mustiness if they have soaked far up the neck and air has had an opportunity to reach those wet spots.

Smell is coming from the wine, I am not speaking of the smell of the cork or smelling of the cork. And, unfortunately, it tastes bad too but I will try decanting it to see if that improves it and report back for information's sake. Sad thing is, I had a partial bottle at the end of bottling day that I drank that evening and it was fairly decent and expected aging to treat it well. It was an RJS Super Tuscan that came with skins, a kit for sure but not a low end one.

I did a skeeter pee and same thing happened, though I kept adding sugar until the yeast maxed out so the high ABV seems to overtake the musty smell/taste but the ladies in my life still complain because it's too strong lol. But my buddies and I enjoy the ABV, though I won't make a batch that strong again because it takes away from the experience. However, it's perfect for making sangria.

Always pay the money for the best grade of cork you can get, poor quality corks ruin wine and the general manager at the winery I work at is bad and cheap and he bought low quality corks so we have been battling cork taint in the recently released wines and have had an average of 2-5 corked bottles a day in the tasting room and that’s what happens when you have bad corks.

Smell is coming from the wine, I am not speaking of the smell of the cork or smelling of the cork. And, unfortunately, it tastes bad too but I will try decanting it to see if that improves it and report back for information's sake. Sad thing is, I had a partial bottle at the end of bottling day that I drank that evening and it was fairly decent and expected aging to treat it well. It was an RJS Super Tuscan that came with skins, a kit for sure but not a low end one.

I did a skeeter pee and same thing happened, though I kept adding sugar until the yeast maxed out so the high ABV seems to overtake the musty smell/taste but the ladies in my life still complain because it's too strong lol. But my buddies and I enjoy the ABV, though I won't make a batch that strong again because it takes away from the experience. However, it's perfect for making sangria.
I'm confused. How can you "fix" a batch of skeeter pee you already bottled? Did you open the bottles and referment or did you notice a smell and attempt to fix before bottling. If the latter, you don't have cork issues with that batch.

Also how long was your RJS Super Tuscan in the bottle? I don't know how long it takes to become "corked", but it does take time. Finally, how many bottles have you tried of that batch? it may be only one bottle.

You read a lot of things that you just don't know if they are true. For some reason I seem to remember putting a piece of saran wrap in the bottle it will get rid of the mustiness. If I remember correctly it has something to do with the chemicals in the saran wrap. Again, sometimes you don't know what's true.

You read a lot of things that you just don't know if they are true. For some reason I seem to remember putting a piece of saran wrap in the bottle it will get rid of the mustiness. If I remember correctly it has something to do with the chemicals in the saran wrap. Again, sometimes you don't know what's true.
Yes, I have heard that as well but I think it’s probably not accurate then again it’s not something I would try.

I'm confused. How can you "fix" a batch of skeeter pee you already bottled? Did you open the bottles and referment or did you notice a smell and attempt to fix before bottling. If the latter, you don't have cork issues with that batch.

Also how long was your RJS Super Tuscan in the bottle? I don't know how long it takes to become "corked", but it does take time. Finally, how many bottles have you tried of that batch? it may be only one bottle.

Where did I say fix? I never fixed anything... the skeeter pee just seemed more drinkable is all. I attributed it to the higher ABV. Sorry for the confusion. Sometimes my thoughts don't come out in chronological order, makes being an Engineer difficult sometimes, especially when I type out exactly what my mind is thinking without editing.

Last edited:
I read this very technique on wikipedia - Cork taint - Wikipedia

Latest posts

Back