Tasting Notes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did enjoy this clip a lot.

I do have one question, bordering on complaint. Right in the beginning, he tastes a Montepulciano d'Abruzzo. It is early in the video, so he is explaining how to read labels. He points to the label and says "one other thing, the Montepulciano, that tells me the area that it is from." Ummm, Montepulciano is the name of the grape, not the location. It is planted in a very broad swath of Italy. I sure as hell hope our somm was not confusing it with Vino Nobile di Montepulciano.

I watched Andre Mack's video of tasting celebrity wines. There's nothing specific I can point out, but I'd prefer the video was a blind tasting, so he did not know who the celebrities were before the tasting.

His white wines under $15 is next on my list.

The problem with the Box Wine video is you might get lucky and find a few of those in major cities on the left or right coast but very doubtful you will find any of those in cities in between........

To my mind these tastings are interesting but irrevelant. They give you a general idea of what the wine may possibly taste like?, but after all it's the tasters taste buds not yours. What he thinks of a wine may not suit your palate at all. Only you know what you like!
After making wines for lots of years, some brilliant, some not, one or two indescribable, I would never pay the prices they ask. Mostly it's advertising, Hyping, and deliberately creating short supply that ups the price. It may not suit everybody, but only I know what I like.:D

Just keeping this going for kicks. I was disappointed with his comments on the Columbia Crest and the Lindeman's surprised me. I think I'll look in the Aussie section next time I'm at the store. I like the J Lohr, and would probably rate it a tad higher, but what do I know?

Just keeping this going for kicks. I was disappointed with his comments on the Columbia Crest and the Lindeman's surprised me. I think I'll look in the Aussie section next time I'm at the store. I like the J Lohr, and would probably rate it a tad higher, but what do I know?
I didn't care for this guy. He makes me think of a typical movie critic, kind of smarmy.

That is the bottom shelf Columbia Crest. Usually found on sale for like $6.99. The J Lohr is usually ~$4 more so not a fair fight IMHO. He should have taste tested at least an H3 Columbia Crest to get it into the same ballpark comparison. Sounds like CC has "millennialized" the Grand Estates to some extent........

More tastings of celebrity wines.

I like Jacobs Creek Shiraz/Cabernet blend from Australia. That should have been in the mix. The Lindeman's Cabernet is surprising at times, isn't bad (hit or miss) maybe he found a hit. J Lohr used to be a very good wine. Its price point is above its worthiness at least in the mid-west. Columbia Crest was good years ago, when it was a relative unknown and was trying to make a name for itself.

Latest posts

Back