Taste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicola

Reaction score
Hey

Am a beginner but can’t help but notice a kinda stanky aftertaste or like dirty water taste? What is this

Hey

Am a beginner but can’t help but notice a kinda stanky aftertaste or like dirty water taste? What is this

kind of fruit/berry/grape/ SG, how long fermented, the way you went about things, without that type details, then no one will be able to assess what has been done, so on so forth, start from beginning, tell steps ..
how you went about things, they will need much more detailed information
Dawg

You need to be much clearer about what your asking.
This is a wine forum.okay
I feel I have been pretty clear on what am asking, if I knew the answer I wouldn’t be asking? Why bother commenting if your going to just post like 5 yr old. Thought it was my name that had junior next to it as well.

kind of fruit/berry/grape/ SG, how long fermented, the way you went about things, without that type details, then no one will be able to assess what has been done, so on so forth, start from beginning, tell steps ..
Dawg
Thanks for the reply, am noticing it from the both I have done which is dragons blood and pineapple which both fermented for about 5-6 weeks I just basically followed the instructions on dragons blood, which was nice straight off, few weeks in bottles am noticing it again, dunno if it’s the tablets and stuff put in. Maybe this is the norm am a learner just noticing this wee aftertaste

Dawg
Thanks, I followed the dragons blood recipe from this site, which was my first wine I done, and found a pineapple recipe too which had pretty much the same instructions just different fruit, both tasted just fine on bottling just like a kinda dirty aftertaste. Hard to explain what I mean, could be normal almost like a dirty water taste. They were done and bottled at about 6-7 weeks and I also used clearing agent on them both. The fact it’s the both of them makes me think it’s normal or an aftertaste from one of the tablets added. Not sure learning as I go

I feel I have been pretty clear on what am asking, if I knew the answer I wouldn’t be asking? Why bother commenting if your going to just post like 5 yr old. Thought it was my name that had junior next to it as well.

Don’t be jerky Nicola. It’s unbecoming. You basically said, “My drink tastes funny. What’s wrong with it?” We didn’t even know what you’re drinking. How were we supposed to know? Joe made a perfectly reasonable observation.

People here are happy to help, but they need at least some kind of starting point. Be cool.

Jbo

Don’t be jerky Nicola. It’s unbecoming. You basically said, “My drink tastes funny. What’s wrong with it?” We didn’t even know what you’re drinking. How were we supposed to know? Joe made a perfectly reasonable observation.

People here are happy to help, but they need at least some kind of starting point. Be cool.

Jbo
Oh so you find it more suitable to dig me on being jerky than the guy to make make the comment in the first place. Typical. As he pointed out it’s a wine forum, it’s wine. Joe made no perfectly reasonable observation. A starting point would be, sorry I don’t know what you mean but I can see your a beginner please elaborate. Really no point in your comment either other than to try and gain brownie points. None left. Cheers.

Oh so you find it more suitable to dig me on being jerky than the guy to make make the comment in the first place. Typical. As he pointed out it’s a wine forum, it’s wine. Joe made no perfectly reasonable observation. A starting point would be, sorry I don’t know what you mean but I can see your a beginner please elaborate. Really no point in your comment either other than to try and gain brownie points. None left. Cheers.

No one here has said anything to you that can even remotely be considered a "dig". If you want help and advice, there are a lot of people here who are willing to provide you with that. If you want to argue and criticize members, you're probably better off asking your questions on another site.

No one here has said anything to you that can even remotely be considered a "dig". If you want help and advice, there are a lot of people here who are willing to provide you with that. If you want to argue and criticize members, you're probably better off asking your questions on another site.
Is that your roundabout way of saying I am not welcome on this site? Please tell me so I know how am moving forward with this? You clearly have blinkers on and makes it questionable your a senior member. I have replied to the the sarcastic and rude messages, with no constructive advise I note. Once again why people are replying to ANY message with no advice other than to bring someone down whilst senior members watch is beyond me

@Nicola I'm assuming that your DB / Pineapple wine was made relatively recently. If so, just know that most wine taste funky and disjointed when it's young and green, it takes a while for the flavor profile to develop, mellow, and become more refined. Also, since it's a DB variant, you might want to do some experimenting with the level of sweetness you have in the wine. Sometimes, just a little more sweetness can really bring things together. It's a pretty good practice, even with quicker drinkers like DB, to keep them in bulk for a while to clear completely and do some aging before adjusting the sweetness and bottling. All that said, I don't really recall any wine faults being categorized as dirty water, but if you would like to provide some details about your wine (ingredients, sequence, specific gravity readings along the way, sweetening, etc.), maybe we can see if there have been any mis-steps or questionable practices along the way to help you narrow down the variables leading to the aftertaste.

johnd is spot on, i signed on to ask if you had added some sugar to a cup of wine to see if that was your tastes profile, along with lbs of fruit per gallon, nobody can help with out you stating the amounts od fruits/juices/berries, so on so forth, SG specific gravity, using a hydrometer, every body has different taste, me i am one of the few that likes mine sweet, and others run all the way to dry, they half to have details of what you have done from start to finish,
Dawg

@Nicola I'm assuming that your DB / Pineapple wine was made relatively recently. If so, just know that most wine taste funky and disjointed when it's young and green, it takes a while for the flavor profile to develop, mellow, and become more refined. Also, since it's a DB variant, you might want to do some experimenting with the level of sweetness you have in the wine. Sometimes, just a little more sweetness can really bring things together. It's a pretty good practice, even with quicker drinkers like DB, to keep them in bulk for a while to clear completely and do some aging before adjusting the sweetness and bottling. All that said, I don't really recall any wine faults being categorized as dirty water, but if you would like to provide some details about your wine (ingredients, sequence, specific gravity readings along the way, sweetening, etc.), maybe we can see if there have been any mis-steps or questionable practices along the way to help you narrow down the variables leading to the aftertaste.
Yes John in the last 2 months if it’s even that yet, I started at 1.080 and finished at approx .998 and then I let sit for a few weeks and added the Sorbate and K met, and pectic Enzyme Was also added at the start I added more of this in half dose later to help clearing, it cleared well I don’t know if it really needed the extra dose of that, I didn’t extra dose the pineapple. I back sweetened with sugar made into syrup and brought it back to approx 1010 and it tasted really nice as did the pineapple but few weeks later has a taste I can’t put my finger on, am sure stanky isn’t the best word lol thanks for you reply it’s appreciated!

pectic Enzyme you add at the very first of your ferment, not after your ferment is finished
Dawg
I know I did do this, thanks, but I didn’t think it was clearing and don’t like asking too many questions, for obvious reasons lol so I read this can help clear later on as well so I thought why not?! It cleared well when bottled actually really well and tasted amazing just a few weeks later a funny extra taste that I wasn’t expecting

johnd is spot on, i signed on to ask if you had added some sugar to a cup of wine to see if that was your tastes profile, along with lbs of fruit per gallon, nobody can help with out you stating the amounts od fruits/juices/berries, so on so forth, SG specific gravity, using a hydrometer, every body has different taste, me i am one of the few that likes mine sweet, and others run all the way to dry, they half to have details of what you have done from start to finish,
Dawg
Sorry was trying to avoid the copy and paste, but this is what I went with ...
  • 1 bottle (48 oz each) 100% Lemon Juice (ReaLemon in the green bottle): More or less lemon juice can be added to your taste, (i.e., if you want to reduce the acid level use less lemon juice). The acid added here will help balance the final wine. Substitutes include any other kind of citrus juice (orange, lime, etc.), or use no citrus at all for a very soft, supple blush.
  • Water to about four gallons
  • 20 cups of white granulated sugar (you will be looking for a SG of around 1.075 after filling to 6 gallons below. This will give you a finished alcohol by volume of about 10%-11%): Add more/less sugar for high/lower desired final ABV. Stir sugar until completely dissolved.
  • 1 tsp. tannin (stir)
  • 3 tsp. yeast nutrient (stir)
  • 1 tsp. yeast energizer (stir)
  • 3 tsp. pectic enzyme (stir)
  • Top water to six (6) gallons* and stir well
  • Test SG with hydrometer (remember, you are looking for a SG around 1.075) Note: The natural sugars from the fruit (below) will slightly increase the final ABV, so be careful how high you drive up the SG at this point!
  • 6 lbs. of Triple Berry Blend (raspberry/blackberry/blueberry--availablein most grocery store freezer sections), frozen then thawed, in a fine mesh nylon bag (tied shut), placed in primary (add any extra juice from the fruit as well): Give the bag a couple of squeezes to work in pectic enzyme. You may also toss the fruit directly into primary, but this makes for a "messier" fermentation and subsequently will require more clearing time and further racking. Dozens of variations on this recipe have been created by simply substituting different or combinations of differe

Sorry for the error it's just I don't consider dragons blood a wine either just an off shoot of something else

Sorry for the error it's just I don't consider dragons blood a wine either just an off shoot of something else
Oh really, Dave’s Dragons Blood wine is one of the most talked about forums on here! I think wine most definitely is produced from more than just grape. Hope to get to that though

Latest posts

Back