taste oxidized

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
I have a CC Showcase Syrah ready to bottle but taste slightly oxidized. What can I do, I have read somewhere that there may be emergency measures I can take. It has been in 23 ltr Vidal barrel for three months. Topped up every two weeks or so. Taste has made a change on the past 3 weeks or so but just now obviously noticeable. I have never had the barrel empty for more than an hour with sanitizing rinses in between batches. Barrel is one year old. I plan to bottle tomorrow.

Hmmm
The barrel is supposed to oxidize the wine, thats its job! Topping up every "two weeks or so" What exactly does that mean? You need to be topping up every week. If you let 2 weeks go by before topping up thats too long for such a small barrel. Bottling the wine will close it back up in glass which will change the flavor profile back a bit (until you reopen it) and let it breath. Make sure your sulfites are topped up. Most of mine are coming out around 10ppm after 3 months in the barrel and they need to be in the 25-35 range depending on pH.
BTW I see that package is "out for delivery" this AM.
smiley1.gif

ibglowin said:
Steak Marinade!
smiley2.gif
Got all excited, found a package behind my door this morning hoping it was the Marinade. All it was was the damn suit I ordered from Brooks Brothers.

I would bottle it and open it in approx 9 months. Granted it may appear oxidized, but given some time in the bottle, it may mellow out. Worse comes to worse, in 9 months, you pour it out, but might as well try and save it in the bottle.

Looks like they attempted delivery but no one was at the address (business) and they won't just drop it off like a house.

ttortorice said:
ibglowin said:
Steak Marinade!
smiley2.gif
Got all excited, found a package behind my door this morning hoping it was the Marinade. All it was was the damn suit I ordered from Brooks Brothers.

Forgot to mention I just racked mine</span>(exact same kit)from my Vadai last Sunday to make room for the first of my Cali wines from fresh grapes from George. It spent 3 months as well and you got me worried.</span>
</span>Did a pretty good taste last night and it seems fine, tasted pretty young but no off taste lots of pepper and a nice long finish since I added a good dose of Tancor as well. I always top off every week and spray down the top with KMETA.</span>
</span>Not sure what exactly happened here other than it just was not topped up as often as it should have been for a small vessel. If you were going 2 weeks you had to be adding 6oz or perhaps more each time. Thats a pretty good amount of head space sitting as opposed to 2-3 oz of headspace if done every week.</span>
</span>Shift to weekly top up routine and see if that fixes the problem on this batch and it sounds like you have a plan from Joseph at the Toy Store to fix this batch up. Keep us posted as to what you do!

Did you get a pm from him Mike to know what George and Joseph told him or did I miss a post somewhere?

ibglowin said:
The thread on WMT has a possible fix from Joseph.
Funny, that's my post. Sometimes I wish we could link these forums. They're all great but have totally different personalities. So yes as I said, I called the Sage of Carrolton and spoke to Joseph and he suggested Polyclar and explained that it is used quite often commercially for white wine.

So now the barrel is soaking in kmet and Polyclar is on the way. BTW I guess my fedEx guy took the day off yesterday.

There was a delivery exception in the tracking info. Says they attempted but no one was at the office (which is where I sent it)
smiley6.gif

ttortorice said:
BTW I guess my fedEx guy took the day off yesterday.

Update on the oxidized tasting CC Yakima Syraz. Received the Polyclar a couple days ago. The wine had been resting in glass carboy for 5 or 6 days. Looked up the instructions on Polyclar. Pulled sample of the not yet treated wine, smells not bad. Swirl and smell again, can't find much if any off smell. Taste, fine, not bad at all. So I let it sit a couple more days. Today after about 10 days in glass I bottled it. Did not use the Polyclar. I don't know what happened or what the smell and taste that I thought was oxidation was. Can't wait to taste a split in a few months and see if I did the right thing leaving it alone and not fining again.

How long before it tasted oxidized had it been racked or messed with? Im just wondering if the messing with disturbed it kind of like bottle shock.

Wade said:
How long before it tasted oxidized had it been racked or messed with? Im just wondering if the messing with disturbed it kind of like bottle shock.
Wade, it stayed in the barrel 3 months. So the last racking was back October 1st. December 1st I added 1/2 tsp of tancor and 4 ounces of Glycerin. I tasted it two weeks before I planned to bottle (two weeks after adding the tancor and glycerin) and that was the first time I felt something was a bit off. Then I tasted it the day before I planned to bottle and got a much more prominent off smell and taste.

Huh, its weird how these wines just go through phases or in our minds we think they do other times. Sometimes its just something we ate or drank previously to it that just lingers on our taste buds and ruins the wine. Sometimes its just pure legit wine funk! LOL

Latest posts

Back