Quantcast

Taste Change After Bottling

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

DirtyJersey

Junior
Reaction score
Hi quick question.

Did the usual. Sulfite to kill yeast, again at times of racking, and put some in in final rack and immediately bottled after.

5 types of wines and all tasted GREAT!. Now, two weeks after bottling, it tastes completely different and lost its oak flavor, sweetness, etc. tastes completely different from bottling.

Did i over sulfite it? I put a little less than 1/4 tsp for 5 gallons. Im not sure why the taste changed..

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
Your wine is going through what is known as bottle shock, give it a few months and taste it again. Nothing to worry about yet. Generally, I wait about 6 months to a year after bottling, but I have lots of wine in my basement so waiting ain't no thang for me.

And just a point of clarification for you, adding that first sulfite didn't kill the yeast, it is a common misconception. Your wine stopped fermenting, because it either ran out of sugar or the yeast died due to excessive alcohol. That sulfite you put in is to make sure spoilage bacteria don't become active.

DirtyJersey

Junior
Reaction score
Awesome news..for clarity, I put in sulfites, to kill wild yeast prior to fermentation...the usual, usual wait 24-36 hours after sulfites, then add yeast, peptic enzymes, etc.

Your wine is going through what is known as bottle shock, give it a few months and taste it again. Nothing to worry about yet. Generally, I wait about 6 months to a year after bottling, but I have lots of wine in my basement so waiting ain't no thang for me.

And just a point of clarification for you, adding that first sulfite didn't kill the yeast, it is a common misconception. Your wine stopped fermenting, because it either ran out of sugar or the yeast died due to excessive alcohol. That sulfite you put in is to make sure spoilage bacteria don't become active.