Tartaric vs Malolatic acid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an acid addition question. I have a Sav. Blanc the pH is 3.65 it tastes great but is flat I already did heat and cold stabilization. I did bench trials 3.30 pH.with tartaric and malic acid. The malic version came out fantastic. My question are,
1. is there a downside to using malic acid,
2. Will I have to do another cold stabilization?

I am not sure if tartrates will form from malic acid or does it only from tartaric acid?

I have an acid addition question. I have a Sav. Blanc the pH is 3.65 it tastes great but is flat I already did heat and cold stabilization. I did bench trials 3.30 pH.with tartaric and malic acid. The malic version came out fantastic. My question are,
1. is there a downside to using malic acid,
Not sure what a heat stabilization is (too advanced for me I'm sure), but if you like the malic addition, taste is everything. Most apple wine makers use malic to adjust with, though most grape wines are adjusted with tartaric. I would still only add 1/2 of what you think you need, let it hang out in the carboy for a week or so and re-taste. If it needs more add 1/2 of what you think you need again, until you get to the taste you like. Realize that your wine is most likely young, and acid and sugar additions don't always come out the way you intended them once the wine matures. As the fruitiness of the Sauv Blanc decreases over time, the acid may become offensive, so be cautious with your additions.

I am not sure if tartrates will form from malic acid or does it only from tartaric acid?
If you use malic acid no additional wine diamonds should be formed from the addition, though more tartaric could precipitate out on its own (would have happened with or without the malic addition).

Is this the big appasimento batch? And You’ve got tanks of this with multiple people owning their shares IIRC right?
Good luck. And tread carefully. Malic additions during aging is likely uncharted territory for many of us. Wouldn’t want the pitchfork and torch mob bangin down your door!

I tend to agree with adding a smaller portion of your bench trial results before committing to the entire amount. You can always add more but you can't undo an over-addition easily.

You would be prudent to perform another cold stabilization or at least run a check. Although the malic acid won't precipitate, since you are lowering the pH then you are potentially unstabilizing the potassium and bitartrate balance.

Normally only Tartaric would be used but since this is a white wine and a SB to boot you could get away with some malic. Have you tried a blend yet of the two? Do your bench trials of course and get a couple opinions before going all out. That is a very high pH for a SB.

Latest posts

Back