Tartaric Acid additions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niko13

Junior
Reaction score
How much tartaric acid do you typically add prior to fermentation? How much tartaric acid do you typically add post fermentation. I know it varies year to year but I am looking for a general answer. I get my grapes from Central California and it seems like every year I am having a tougher time getting my pH in the 3.5 range (cabernet and merlot grapes).
This year my must measured 3.8. I added 100 grams of TA/20 gallons of must. After MLF the pH measured 3.7. I then added 60 more grams to a 26 gallon barrell and my pH is around 3.68.

How much tartaric acid do you typically add prior to fermentation? How much tartaric acid do you typically add post fermentation. I know it varies year to year but I am looking for a general answer. I get my grapes from Central California and it seems like every year I am having a tougher time getting my pH in the 3.5 range (cabernet and merlot grapes).
This year my must measured 3.8. I added 100 grams of TA/20 gallons of must. After MLF the pH measured 3.7. I then added 60 more grams to a 26 gallon barrell and my pH is around 3.68.

It really depends upon the taste of the wine, assuming you are in a manageable pH range. I try, prefermentation, to get my must around 3.6 +/-. Once AF and MLF are over, as long as the pH is in the 3.7 or low 3.8's, use the appropriate amount of sulfite to protect the wine. During bulk / barrel aging, as the wine starts to develop, adjust the wine as you see fit according to it's taste. Many commercial, high quality wines have pH's in the 3.8's, so don't be afraid of the number, focus on the taste............

Latest posts

Back