Tart Cherry Wine First Time

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wetneck

Reaction score
Ok, i just acquired 20 pounds of pitted
tart cherries. Im going to try and make something awesome even though im a rookie lol.

They are in the fridge right now. Should I freeze them first? I have acids and bicarbonate coming tomorrow. Dont like them in the fridge much. Concerned they will start to spoil.

Cherries were ready, had to pick them up yesterday evening.

I also need to find a good recipe.

Hmm, dry fermentation.. Dont know anything about it. Thanks for the advice I'll freeze them today.

You do have a hydrometer? Almost the most important tool for the home winemaker. You will need the beginning reading and the end read to determine alcohol content. Can also help in determining if the fermentation is stuck. Also if you come here looking help, chances are someone is going to ask you for you beginning specific gravity reading, just a heads up.

You do have a hydrometer? Almost the most important tool for the home winemaker. You will need the beginning reading and the end read to determine alcohol content. Can also help in determining if the fermentation is stuck. Also if you come here looking help, chances are someone is going to ask you for you beginning specific gravity reading, just a heads up.
Thanks again. Yes i have 2 hydrometers. I use light colored electric tape for labels. I date it, apv it, yeast variety it, desctibe exactly what i used for fruit etc.

I appreciate you help. Ill start thinking a bit before asking questions.

10 lb frozen pitted sour cherries
6 lbs sugar
2 US gallons of water
nutrient
pectic enzyme
Bayanus yeast
Put sugar on top of the frozen fruit and give it 2 days to thaw.
Then add the water, pectic enzyme and nutrient.
Sprinkle the yeast on top in one spot but don't stir it in
1 day layer gently stir the yeast on top.
2 days later strongly stir the yeast.
After 6 days press the fruit through a strainer that captures all or most of the seeds
Rack with 1/8th tsp potassium metabisulphite/ 2 Imperial gallons into a carboy.
Rack again in 10 days to get rid of sludge.
Then proceed as you would with any other fruit wine.

10 lb frozen pitted sour cherries
6 lbs unpasteurized honey
2 US gallons of water
nutrient
pectic enzyme
Bayanus yeast
Put honey on top of the frozen fruit and give it 2 days to thaw.
Then add the water, pectic enzyme and nutrient.
Sprinkle the yeast on top in one spot but don't stir it in
1 day layer gently stir the yeast on top.
2 days later strongly stir the yeast.
After 6 days press the fruit through a strainer that captures all or most of the seeds
Rack with 1/8th tsp potassium metabisulphite/ 2 Imperial gallons into a carboy.
Rack again in 10 days to get rid of sludge.
Then proceed as you would with any other fruit wine.

they both taste good if the acid and sweetness are balanced. The honey version is more complex with a more intense honey smell especially if you sweeten with sorbate and honey or an intense honey like wildflower.

Latest posts

Back