Tart Cherry Pink Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnash

Junior
Reaction score
Got it all together tonight including 64 ounces of tart cherry juice. Made invert sugar and have my starter working toward pitching in 24 hours. Got my SG at 1.070 and plan to feed the ferment as it progresses and i add more lemon juice. I am targeting 5 1/2 gallons at 12.5% final and will bottle in grolsch beer bottles. The last time I made skeeter pee I used canned pie filling which didnt deliver the cherry flavor. I like to rack off the lees but not fine skeeter pee. The fines will settle out but a good shake of the bottle will awaken the touch of bitter I remember in homemade lemon aid.

I was initially underwhelmed with SP. I started using it to mix with my tart cherry juice which I started taking for inflammation. I liked the results. I just did a second batch of SP with some tweaks that I thought would make it better. I've had some of the stuff that didn't go into the carboy to settle. Tastes like lemonade with no discernible alcohol. I'll have to see once I get it settled and bottled how it turns out. But, basically, I made it to mix with my tart cherry juice.

So you bottle the fines?
Yes, not that there is much, fermenting dry means a thin finish that drops most fines quickly and whats left will be enough to give that slight bitter you get from fresh squeezed lemons.

I was initially underwhelmed with SP. I started using it to mix with my tart cherry juice which I started taking for inflammation. I liked the results. I just did a second batch of SP with some tweaks that I thought would make it better. I've had some of the stuff that didn't go into the carboy to settle. Tastes like lemonade with no discernible alcohol. I'll have to see once I get it settled and bottled how it turns out. But, basically, I made it to mix with my tart cherry juice.
" Tastes like lemonade with no discernible alcohol. " Back sweetened and Chilled to 33 degrees makes it very easy to enjoy.

IMG_1642.jpgComing along nicely! Racked to the carboy on Friday the 31st. Airlock tics every 6 seconds now. I'm loving the color.

View attachment 64402Coming along nicely! Racked to the carboy on Friday the 31st. Airlock tics every 6 seconds now. I'm loving the color.
looks good, bet it'll taste good, hope you don't mind a question, i've ask several people about handle placement,,, i've been told that it goes below both rings,,, it looks t me like that's where it should go, but i was told it goes below the second ring, so i moved all mine down,
Dawg

looks good, bet it'll taste good, hope you don't mind a question, i've ask several people about handle placement,,, i've been told that it goes below both rings,,, it looks t me like that's where it should go, but i was told it goes below the second ring, so i moved all mine down,
Dawg
That's good question. I don't think it really matters. I put mine under the second ring. My reasoning is the carboy is probably stronger there, less stress on the neck when you lift it, and more out of the way when you are sanitizing, sterilizing, etc.

Dawg
I have honestly never given it any thought. I dont even remember why I put it where I did but I hav 5 of them installed and all are in the same location.

Anybody use these nylon strap carriers? I got a few thrown in when I bought some carboys off CL and have bought a few since bc I like them.
View attachment 64425
I have one and it does feel more safe than the neck handles, certainly on a full 6 gallon carboy. I do feel that you have to remember to check it closely to make sure it is placed / distributed properly. I remember buying it thinking it might be better but never acquired more...

I have honestly never given it any thought. I dont even remember why I put it where I did but I hav 5 of them installed and all are in the same location.
i don't lift with them. but it helps to hang on to when washing them, but i do see the point of thicker glass lower on the neck,
Dawg

Its done, 0.992 racked off the lees and stable. but wow is it ever gassy! I hope I can beat the gas out of it otherwise I'll have to put it back for next year. Patience has never been one of my strong points...

Its done, 0.992 racked off the lees and stable. but wow is it ever gassy! I hope I can beat the gas out of it otherwise I'll have to put it back for next year. Patience has never been one of my strong points...
Agitation, without introducing oxygen. The handle of a long-handled spoon works, but is tedious. Many types of drill attachments work. I made one from a plastic coat hanger. Reverse directions every 10 or 20 seconds to prevent creating a vortex. A vacuum works even better, if you happen to have access to one. This is Skeeter Pee, it's known to be very gassy, it's also known to be a quick drinker. You shouldn't need to put it away for a year, but of course some people do, if they have something to drink in the meantime, right @hounddawg?

Agitation, without introducing oxygen. The handle of a long-handled spoon works, but is tedious. Many types of drill attachments work. I made one from a plastic coat hanger. Reverse directions every 10 or 20 seconds to prevent creating a vortex. A vacuum works even better, if you happen to have access to one. This is Skeeter Pee, it's known to be very gassy, it's also known to be a quick drinker. You shouldn't need to put it away for a year, but of course some people do, if they have something to drink in the meantime, right @hounddawg?
Right,,,
i'm starting to worry @KCCam, um you FBI, CIA, MOUNTY? ,,,,,
lol
Dawg

Latest posts

Back