Tannins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevew1

Reaction score
I am interested in adding dry tannin to my wine. I enjoy that flavor profile. The package indicated 1/3 teaspoon per gallon. Has anyone thought that was too much? I am adding it to a Chilean Cab Sav that I started in May 2018. Also how long should I let it age in the carboy after adding?

Thanks

I am assuming fermentation is complete, and you are looking to use a finishing tannin, not a fermentation tannin. Is this correct?

Can you tell us about the tannin? Is it the generic LD Carlson tannin, or is it something like Tannin Riche or Tannin Riche Extra from Scott Laboratories. (I strongly prefer the Scott Labs products to the generic ones.)

For fermentation tannins, I use about 8 or 9 g per 6 gal. For a finishing tannin, I use 2 to 3 g/6 gallon.

Fermentation is complete and this would be a finishing tannin. And it is the Carlson generic day tannin

A suggested bench trial by scott labs is to make a 5% solution mixing 5 grams to 100ml of water. for a 375ml bottle 100ppm =.75ml, 200ppm=1.5ml, 300ppm=2.25ml. make up the batch you desire let it sit for about two weeks and taste test. add appropriate amounts to final batch based on taste test levels.

I have a 6 gal carboy and when I rack next week I will put it in two 3 gallon and add the tannins to one. That will be my bench test.

My bench test went very well. I let it age just over two weeks. The taste was very good as the tannins added some mouthfeel in the finish. The wine will be bottled in April. I am very excited for the final product.

Latest posts

Back