tannins and bitterness

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevea51

Junior
Reaction score
Hey all, I am making a cab for the first time. i just tasted a friends cab he is making at has very bitter aftertaste.. how does one prevent that. I know that bacteria can cause that but I think that seeds my be the culprit. Has anyone every taken the seeds out at pressing? I know 300 lbs of cab grapes would be a bit of work, but It might be worth it in the long run. but I like tannin also. When I press, maybe I should go light on the squeeze. does anyone have any ideas? thanks Stevea51

Several thoughts come to my mind.

First:
At pressing do not press to hard. The best juice is the free flow juice, then the slightly pressed juice etc.
The more you press the more the berries are stressed and will produce harsh components.

Second:
When fermenting on pulp at first the color comes free but the longer the pulp fermenting takes place the more tannins will be released in the juice.

So taste the juice at pressing and at fermenting and you will get the juice YOU want.

Luc

Latest posts

Back