Tannin?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wine4Me

Reaction score
I started Vintner Fruit Juice Can = Cherry.. It is still fermenting.. In the directions, it called for tannin to be added. But I have none. MOF, I was just searching the web what tannin was?? How important is adding this? Will I ruin the wine if I do not add it? :confused:

Tannin gives some astringency to wines.
It gives the wines a bit of a 'byte'

Make a strong cup of black tea and taste it.
It will be astringent. That is what tannins are alike.

So the solution is at hand, I already gave it.
When you do not have any tannins around you can add a
tea-cup of strong black tea (to a gallon of must).
Do NOT use the perfumed teas like fruit tea etc. Just plain black tea.

Luc

IF I understand correctly, I can just let the tannin out & the wine will be ok but change the taste.?.?.
We don't drink tea so I have none of that here either~~

You dont need it and surely your wine wont be ruined. Your wine may be a little thin on body but wouldnt be much different at all, I know, i have made almost all those Vintners Harvest bases, get the Black Currant next time, its way better. The Cranberry is also very good. You will actually get some tannins from all the pits in the Cherry base.

Funny you should mention Black Currant because I also have this [haven't made yet]. I bought it because of hearing about it here on this site. And thought I would check it out!!!
Thanks~

That is by far my favorite fruit wine and bet it will be yours to!!!!!

So far my is Blackberry & Wild berry [Island Mist Fruit KITS]. Are they similar?

Not really as those are very low abv wines and lack body but are decent as I make a few a year, this is loaded with body and tons of flavor. Use the 1 can to a 3 gallon recipe and you wont be dissapointed. I always have 1 going or lots in the rack. I have 6 gallons going as we speak (2 cans). I also have he Blackberry going 3 gaalons (1 can). The Cranberry is awesome too. Do not try the Marionberry as there is almost no flavor at all in that 1.

Tannin will help when done to a 5gallon -1 can ratio and can be added now, doesnt have to be added during primary fermentation.

Tannin will help preserve the wine longer in storage. You could just age the wine on oak. There is tannin in oak. I add tannin in all wine in the primary. If you do use tannin make a slurry first. Otherwise the tannin will will be a mudball floating around in your wine.

Latest posts

Back