Tannin and Oak Spirals - when and how

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMT

Junior
Reaction score
Hi experts, I'm ready to start bulk aging a Cabernet Sauvignon and wanted to add tannin and oak spirals. My questions ;-
Do I mix/stir the tannin powder into the 6 gallon must ? (I suspect not due to oxygen risk). Secondly, do I need to rack after 5-6 weeks or will it be ok to go straight to bottling.

many thanks
SMT

For tannin powder, I pull off about 100ml (more or less, maybe some), add the tannin to that. Let sit for about 5 or 10 minutes, then stir the heck out of that, making sure to get rid of any lumps. Then back into the wine. Then stir, every so often, but gently. Tannin had a tendency to sink to the bottom of the carboy adding nothing.

I would probably rack it prior to bottling and I would agree more like 8-12 weeks.

Lees after a tannin addition are fluffy and easy to rouse. I recommend racking to another vessel immediately before bottling.

Why are you adding tannin? Usually CS has plenty. Unless there's a defect in the wine, leave it out. You say 6 gallons of must-does that mean you have not fermented it yet? Once it's fermented, and pressed, it's (new) wine. But adding some fermentation tannin at the start of fermentation can improve the color fixation.

The oak question is much easier. Rack off the lees, sulfite and add your oak spiral. Let it age 3 months and remove the spiral. Then let it age for 3-9 more months before bottling. If you've already racked to clean wine, and I assume you've already sulfited, just add the oak spiral now and remove in 2-3 months. Always rack before bottling. That really gives you a chance to have nice clean wine without filtering.

The length of time you age before bottling is up to you, but I've found wine continues to drop sediment a long time, and so the longer you wait up to a point, the better. You may wish to extend your time frame. I bulk age a year for instance, and then try and wait another year to drink it.

Your other thread said you were in California. So welcome to WMT from a fellow Californian. Where are you located? California is a big place!

I concur with CDrew.

If you have minimal head space at the top of the carboy, then gently stirring in sulfite, or tannins (if you use them) should not add too much oxygen. If the wine is still degassing or going through MLF , I also recommend leaving an airlock in a silicone stopper in the top of the carboy.

thanks all - I racked to a new primary that has a spigot (easier to rack and allows tasting), I added just a little tannin and French oak spirals. I plan to leave this for 4-6 weeks before racking and aging in the carboy or bottles (all clearing, fining and degassing already done prior)

Hoping 6 weeks in the primary fermenter is safe from oxidizing - I have about 6inches of space at the top. Sealed and airlocked.

CDrew - A wee toon called Tiburon
Ike64 - Hawd yer weeshd laddie ;)

thanks all - I racked to a new primary that has a spigot (easier to rack and allows tasting), I added just a little tannin and French oak spirals. I plan to leave this for 4-6 weeks before racking and aging in the carboy or bottles (all clearing, fining and degassing already done prior)

Hoping 6 weeks in the primary fermenter is safe from oxidizing - I have about 6inches of space at the top. Sealed and airlocked.

I would not "age" in a primary fermenting bucket. If the wine is clear and de-gassed, it NEEDS to be in a carboy with minimum head space. It's ok to have the oak spiral in the carboy.

I would not "age" in a primary fermenting bucket. If the wine is clear and de-gassed, it NEEDS to be in a carboy with minimum head space. It's ok to have the oak spiral in the carboy.
I agree with Chuck E. Get your wine in a carboy. The spigot won't be useful because you will be pulling out of the bottom of the vessel and will be tasting lees and dregs. Also you don't want to take too much out of your carboy or aging tank without topping up.

Let me also recommend against this. 6 inches of headspace is way too much. You want that wine in a necked container, with wine up to 1 inch of the stopper. You want minimal volume and minimal surface area. With your description, you are likely to have vinegar in 6 weeks. It really is important. A carboy is about the cheapest perfect container for this. It will also keep you from tasting it. Anyway, you'll learn lots of lessons from this experience and you'll be well prepared for next fall and the grape harvest.

Done - potential disaster avoided. Racked back to glass carboy, filled up to top and will leave it (and you guys) alone for couple months before bottling.

Slainte all!

Latest posts

Back