Table or wine grapes?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wife is caring for a horse on this property. I notice they have 20 vines or so, that have not been cared for, for a long time. I had given the owner a few of my bottles and suffice it to say, he did not complain. I asked if he would mind (in Jan) if I pruned and cared for them. He said he had no idea what they were, but to knock myself out.

I pruned the heck out of them, and it is clear that there are three or four different varieties. Four of the vines look like this; what do you think, table or wine grapes?

Last edited:
Nice score, free vines, looks like you did a great job pruning. Squish some up and test the sugar and acid levels.

regardless of there origin, with additions such as sugar, acid adjustments and tannin, these grapes can make a good wine. the size of the grape seems to large for vinifera wine grapes , but some American gapes such as Niagara, Delaware, Concord etc have the large circumference grape. red or white, once vearison starts monitor acid and sugar levels. once they both reach a level status or 22 brix for sugar and about .6-.9 for acid they should be ready to pick. if they don't get to these numbers pick when you can and do the additives

Latest posts

Back