Quantcast

Table or wine grapes?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wife is caring for a horse on this property. I notice they have 20 vines or so, that have not been cared for, for a long time. I had given the owner a few of my bottles and suffice it to say, he did not complain. I asked if he would mind (in Jan) if I pruned and cared for them. He said he had no idea what they were, but to knock myself out.

I pruned the heck out of them, and it is clear that there are three or four different varieties. Four of the vines look like this; what do you think, table or wine grapes?

Last edited:

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
whatever they are they look great.

mikewatkins727

Well beyond middle age
Reaction score
Seeded or seedless? Being that there are so few plants and IF they are seedless, I lean towards table. Just my opinion.

Smok1

Reaction score
Nice score, free vines, looks like you did a great job pruning. Squish some up and test the sugar and acid levels.

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
regardless of there origin, with additions such as sugar, acid adjustments and tannin, these grapes can make a good wine. the size of the grape seems to large for vinifera wine grapes , but some American gapes such as Niagara, Delaware, Concord etc have the large circumference grape. red or white, once vearison starts monitor acid and sugar levels. once they both reach a level status or 22 brix for sugar and about .6-.9 for acid they should be ready to pick. if they don't get to these numbers pick when you can and do the additives

Latest posts