ta levels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordonm

Reaction score
just let my Frontenac blanc sit overnight after adding Camden tables. My ph was 3.0, SG 1.085, temp 65, but my ta was way up to 1.5. I added 15cc to get the color stable. Now I need to get the ta down somehow before adding the yeast starter. Do I use calcium carbonate (how much for 5 gal) or can I just add some water. thanks, gordon

If you add water, you will dilute everything - sugar, flavor, etc. You can add water that you have sweetened to 1.085 so the sugar will not be diluted. However, I would not recommend that unless you have a lot of flavor in your grapes.

You don't need to do any chemical deacidification. Calcium carbonate can take much longer to cold stabilize and precipitate out. However, if you do want to reduce some of the acid with chemicals, I would suggest using potassium carbonate (or potassium bicarbonate). You should add enough to drop your TA by 0.2 points. If you try to adjust more than that you risk really changing the flavors. The FermCalc application helps to calculate the amount for you.

You should also use a yeast that will metabolize some of the magic acid that is present to help reduce the acid more. I typically use Lalvin 71b for this job. But there is another yeast that can take out about half of the malic acid present. It is Maurivin b. And finally, make sure you cold stabilize to drop out as much acid as you can.

In the end you may need to balance the wine with some sweetening. See how it ends up.

Alternatively you can always blend it in the end with a low acid wine.

thanks for the information. Last year (my first) I had the same problem and I can't seem to figure out why my wine is so high in TA. I wonder if anyone else in the northeast has the same problem or if I'm doing the test wrong. I've followed the instructions very carefully but I still get a very high TA. ok, thanks again gordon

just let my Frontenac blanc sit overnight after adding Camden tables. My ph was 3.0, SG 1.085, temp 65, but my ta was way up to 1.5. I added 15cc to get the color stable. Now I need to get the ta down somehow before adding the yeast starter. Do I use calcium carbonate (how much for 5 gal) or can I just add some water. thanks, gordon

http://winemakersacademy.com/importance-ph-wine-making/

A write up on when to harvest grapes, your ph is low, acid is high is most likely an under ripe grape.

Edit: nevermind, i re-read and noticed u added 15cc of (tartaric acid?) that would make the ph go lower and acid go up, disregard my comment.

Last edited:
one thought is to add some dissolved sugar , this solution of water and sugar would up your specific gravity and lower the acid somewhat. post fermentation work would take care of the rest.

ok, one more question a TA and PH. Is there anyway to lower the soil PH and would this help lower the grape PH? I heard of one person in the Northeast putting limestones around his plants. thanks again, gordon

Latest posts

Back