TA good but PH low and sour

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Long time reader first time poster!

I have a sangiovese in carboy from 2019. It was a high acid low sugar year.

Currently it's at a TA of .7 and a PH of 3.1. Its tasting pretty sour.

I innoculated with wyeast mlb and optimalo but I'm not sure it was able to complete or even start.

I have just put it in for cold stabilization in the Hope that I can drop out some of the acid.

Couple of questions I have.

I want it to go thru mlf.

I'm thinking of blending with Syrah to get it up to 3.2 but have to use commercial wine. Hoping to get a little more body out of the blending as well as slight increase to ph. Is this feasible?

Then if I can manage that, can I add another mlf strain and nutrient to get mlf going?

This is a small batch, only 3.5 gallons. I have potassium carbonate but I am keeping that as a last resort.

Thanks for any advice!

Yeah I know so do I at this point. When I pressed I had them at my local shop and they tested PH at 3.2 so I thought it would be ok but now I am where I am.

Is it a no go on blending with a store bought syrah?

Yeah I know so do I at this point. When I pressed I had them at my local shop and they tested PH at 3.2 so I thought it would be ok but now I am where I am.

Is it a no go on blending with a store bought syrah?
You could blend with a store bought, but before you do run a Pearson square on how much you will need to add. Assume the store bought has a pH of 3.6, maybe. My guess and I haven't run the numbers is it will be a bunch. And be aware that since pH is logarithmic and there is a buffering function that you can't measure, that whatever you calculate is wrong, but it should be ballpark.

I would worry that the commercial wine may have deterrents to MLF and not allow you to be successful. to me potassium carbonate is you best bet as you have total control.

Back