TA and pH measurements

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VillaVino

Reaction score
Hello,
I’ve read the forum posts concerning TA and pH measurements but still have to ask these questions.

I test my grapes for brix up to harvest. The winery I sell my grapes always wants to know the pH and doesn’t think the strips are accurate enough. I understand this so, do I buy a Vinmetric SC 200 or go with something more mobile like a Extech 110 for pH and just titrate with phenolphthalein for TA.
Also, how much sample juice is needed for measuring pH?

If you're selling to a winery you may want something like the Vinmetrica, but there are plenty of pH meters on Amazon for under $30 that work just fine. Any pH meter needs to be calibrated.
You only need a small amount to test pH, like 1/4 cup.
Plain old acid test kits are like $10 and work fine for home use, but again a winery might want something more exact.

You don't need much. Just enough to fully submerge the ph probe in the sample. Half a shot glass /15mL maybe
And TA can require as little as 5mL depending on which sodium hydroxide solution you'd use. .1N requires 5mL. .2N requires 15mL.
Don't know about the vinmetrica though. But I think the vinmetrica would be the more professional route to go.

You don't need much. Just enough to fully submerge the ph probe in the sample. Half a shot glass /15mL maybe
And TA can require as little as 5mL depending on which sodium hydroxide solution you'd use. .1N requires 5mL. .2N requires 15mL.
Don't know about the vinmetrica though. But I think the vinmetrica would be the more professional route to go.

Thanks for the replies. I watched the YouTube 5 minute Wine School on TA. I think that is the route I’ll go. The most straightforward explanation I’ve seen so far. I like the mobility of the handheld pH meter but want to find one with a reasonable probe replacement cost. If I find the need to take it to the next level, then the Vinmetric will be considered. That is what the winery I sell my grapes to uses.

Latest posts

Back