Synthetic Wine Corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GlennK .. have you asked at your local stores? I know that there at least two in Charlottetown (Wine Kitz and John's). One or both should be able to order synthetic corks from their suppliers. Of course, since both are "Ferment on Premises" stores, I don't know how friendly they will be to home wine makers. Some are better than others.

Steve

GlennK .. have you asked at your local stores? I know that there at least two in Charlottetown (Wine Kitz and John's). One or both should be able to order synthetic corks from their suppliers. Of course, since both are "Ferment on Premises" stores, I don't know how friendly they will be to home wine makers. Some are better than others.

Steve
Hey Steve......I did and this was the response, which is why I decided to come here and ask.

Yes we do. They are about double the price of a regular cork. The only time I recommend them is if you plan on storing your wine for more than
3-4 years or are forced to store the bottles upright for extended periods of time.

Glenn

Hey Steve......I did and this was the response, which is why I decided to come here and ask.

Yes we do. They are about double the price of a regular cork. The only time I recommend them is if you plan on storing your wine for more than
3-4 years or are forced to store the bottles upright for extended periods of time.

Glenn

GlennK:

I ran a store in BC (closed in 2007). The Nomacorcs cost more than double the regular corks back then. Part of the problem, I suspect, is lack of volume by Canadian retailers.

Steve

I use zorks which are more expensive than any corks, but have great advantages as well. Currently I see them at 32¢ each in quantities of 1000.

I bottle about 400/year so $80 extra a year but I never need a corker or corkscrew. My friends and relatives love them as much as I do!

GlennK:

I ran a store in BC (closed in 2007). The Nomacorcs cost more than double the regular corks back then. Part of the problem, I suspect, is lack of volume by Canadian retailers.

Steve
Thanks Steve....and where/what is BC?......lol

I use zorks which are more expensive than any corks, but have great advantages as well. Currently I see them at 32¢ each in quantities of 1000.

I bottle about 400/year so $80 extra a year but I never need a corker or corkscrew. My friends and relatives love them as much as I do!

Now these are very interesting. How much reuse can you get out of them?

ZORK is a combination closure and pull-off capsule
Fits on many standard 750ml wine bottles
Once opened, the closure becomes a re-usable T-Cork
Zork closures may be put on by hand

Now these are very interesting. How much reuse can you get out of them?
ZORK is a combination closure and pull-off capsule
Fits on many standard 750ml wine bottles
Once opened, the closure becomes a re-usable T-Cork
Zork closures may be put on by hand

As a taster t-cork? They last for years. So when I finally get down to my last dozen or so, I'll keep them hidden away.

Not many people use the Zorks because of the price. Since the Nomacorks are under 20¢ ea I'll be switching. Too bad, it's a great idea!! But adding that much cost to every bottle is just starting to bug me... and I can't find a supplier that sells them for $32 per hundred any more. Midwest is up to $50 per hundred!! That's just too much for me.

Back