synthetic corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many years ago in communication with Nomacork I was advised to use the Select 900 series with my floor corker. Over the many years I've used Nomacork I've not run into any issues but then I don't think I've ever had one in a bottle for much over three years.

Found this on the web - at thecarycompany.com. Not sure where they got this info.

"Nomacorc® closures are recommended for use within 6 months after production date and should be stored in a cool, dry location prior to use. Each bag of closures should be used directly after opening. "

Yeah, I saw that somewhere myself after having just bought a 1K count. This was about 3 1/2 years ago and I'm guessing I have about 400-500 left [I do a lot of 1.5L bottling and also will use non-synthetic corks is why they're not all used.]. I'm to frugal/cheap to discard what I have so will disregard the recommendation until my next smaller lot purchase.

Many years ago in communication with Nomacork I was advised to use the Select 900 series with my floor corker. Over the many years I've used Nomacork I've not run into any issues but then I don't think I've ever had one in a bottle for much over three years.
i've got bottles at 6 going to 7 years the 900 select,
Dawg

Yeah, I saw that somewhere myself after having just bought a 1K count. This was about 3 1/2 years ago and I'm guessing I have about 400-500 left [I do a lot of 1.5L bottling and also will use non-synthetic corks is why they're not all used.]. I'm to frugal/cheap to discard what I have so will disregard the recommendation until my next smaller lot purchase.
yeah you cant believe directions ,, i once bought a puzzle that said 4 to 6 years,, yet i put it together in only 6 months,,,,
Dawg

The 6 month after production date is a liability thing, every consumable must have a shelf life and generally companies make them short. Hell buying nomacorks from a 3rd party distributor it is likely they are past 6 months from production when you buy them.

I agree it's primarily a CYA issue, Nomacorc is marketing a precision product with specifications including oxygen ingress rates etc. I noticed their most recent storage limit indicates 1 year, but for most home winemakers, storage time probably doesn't matter much. The only exception might be the top of the line Reserva or Select Green 100, which most home winemakers wouldn't buy anyway. Both of these grades have a very low oxygen ingress rate for the first year, which may mean they used an inert gas instead of air to produce the foam core (my speculation based on the core providing additional oxygen during the first year). If that's the case, then storage beyond a year would allow enough time for ambient air to exchange with the gas in the foam core, which would increase their first year oxygen ingress rate specification; essentially the Select Green 100 becomes the Select Green 300 upon aging. Again this is just my interpretation of the Nomacorc data.

Attachments

• sellsheet-nomacorc-selectgreen-en-us.pdf
    341.2 KB · Views: 5
So I noticed that some of my synthetics are leaking. Upon closer inspection, some of my recently bottled with cork leaked a bit as well. It turns out my floor corker is starting to pinch the corks.:confused: need a new floor corker I guess. will buy the better one this time.

So I noticed that some of my synthetics are leaking. Upon closer inspection, some of my recently bottled with cork leaked a bit as well. It turns out my floor corker is starting to pinch the corks.:confused: need a new floor corker I guess. will buy the better one this time.
Which one did you have, and what should others look for as signs that theirs is starting to fail?

Which one did you have, and what should others look for as signs that theirs is starting to fail?
No brand name, but it has plastic Jaws that appear to be curling at the thin end. Running a cork through it produces a vertical pinch line on the cork.

Attachments

• 16104876678383915806434915616517.jpg
    16104876678383915806434915616517.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
I've looked at the Portuguese corkers. They're relatively small and easy to store. If doing wine a carboy (2 cases) at a time, they appear fine.

However, I recommend against plastic jaws. Corks undergo a lot of compression before going into the bottle, and plastic is less likely to hold up in the long term.

Food for thought -- an Italian floor corker is ~$130 USD on Amazon. It's bigger and heavier, and takes up more space. The jaws are brass and mine (purchased in 1989) is still going strong. I've never had a problem putting any cork in any bottle, and bottling 3 or 4 carboys at a time goes smoothly. Anyone who believes they'll be making wine for a long time, and has the resources, may be better served buying a better corker.

I still have my original double-lever corker. It did the job, but I haven't used it since I used the floor corker the first time. I gave it to my brother who used it off-n-on for 25 years, before giving it back to me as he stopped making wine.

EDIT: My son uses my corker as he lives relatively close. It's likely he'll inherit the corker ... although neither of us is planning for that to happen any time soon! ;)

Last edited:
Has anyone found this to be true concerning the synthetic corks with the Ferrari as Morewine state?
My Ferrari has plain 'ole brass jaws and it works fine with Nomacorcs -- been using them for several years and have yet to mess up a cork. I've yet to find a cork it could not put into a normal wine bottle.

I have no idea if chrome plating (follow the link in @Brian55's post above) makes a difference. I doubt the jaw design has changed much (if at all). Someone with a newer corker will have to chime in.

Latest posts

Back