synthetic corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We did co extrusion, and we had a core of a petroleum jelly substance to float fiber optic.

NOMACORC corks both breath and will do long storage, for several years i used only Flor corks, none better for natural corks, then i tried them nomacorc can be stored both standing or laying down, with no problems at all, now 1 & 1/2 are not for long storage, by long i mean better than 10 years, and EBAY is the only place i can find them in 1 & 3/4, that's 100 for just under $30,,, their center is made to ever so slightly breath, and yep you'll really, really need a floor corker,,,
Dawg

Hobbyhomebrew.com has the 1 3/4 , about $30 for 100, $250 for 1000. Somewhere along the way I remember reading that the length of the cork is not an issue and that it's related more to aesthetics than sealing ability.

With natural corks I stand them us for several days to give the cork time to decompress. What do you do with synthetic corks?

My usual supplier is having difficulty in acquiring Long Natural corks, and offered me synthetics instead. Good bad or no opinion?
Are they agglomerated or fully synthetic? Agglomerated are ok, synthetic or bad for reds as they are not great for aging.

If they're Nomacorc, they're good for 10 years plus.
Hmm never heard of them, they look pretty good though. I just use the agglomerated ones from winekitz they are good for 5 years maybe. Basically finely ground up cork and pressed/glued together but they can still breathe and let O2 in over time. I also have real corks and they are a pain, i’ve had two or three bottles leak on me already.

So I sent a detailed email to RJS, asking if their synthetics will allow for controlled air ingress and this is the reply I got :
Good evening Dave

I recommend synthetic corks when aging for a year plus as they do not leak in air or breakdown as agglo corks can

It does not give me great confidence.

So I sent a detailed email to RJS, asking if their synthetics will allow for controlled air ingress and this is the reply I got :
Good evening Dave

I recommend synthetic corks when aging for a year plus as they do not leak in air or breakdown as agglo corks can

It does not give me great confidence.

I use agglomerated corks, some of my bottles that I drank were 3 years and they were fine. You don't want synthetic corks, you want micro oxygenation in your reds as it helps them age. There is no reason why good quality natural corks or agglomerated corks won't last five years or more depending on the wine. The exception is if you are bulk aging for a over a year and you are not trying to bottle age.

You don't want synthetic corks, you want micro oxygenation in your reds as it helps them age.

Normacorcs do allow micro oxygenation according to their literature. In fact they have different corks with calibrated and published oxygen ingress specs. Amazon is the best source I could find for the different grades.

And, I just got 1000 "Normacorc select green 300" (used 300s and 900s last year) which is supposedly good for 15 years of aging. And BTW-they are not green colored. They look like natural corks. I did a test run in my Italian floor corker and it had no problem with them. The downside is you have to buy 1000 at a time. I bought through Amazon but they shipped directly from Vinventions who is the manufacturer. Their top end, is "Reserva" which I think is rated for 25 years of aging.

I see lots of advantages for synthetics for home wine makers. Much more controlled, no risk of cork tastes, and more scientific about O2 ingress too. Do your homework and I think you might like the Normacorcs.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=vinventions&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Well I've done 2 more things. I have some natural corks left so I Bottled a batch using half corks, half synthetics. I'll let you know in a year if there's a significant difference. I also asked for clarification from RJS. I'll see if I can source some nomacorcs in my location.

Ok, I’ll play along. How do you know? I have been using synthetic corks for a couple years. Am I on a runaway train?
i use select 900 good for at least 10 to 15 years, now nomacroc 300 reserva are good for 25 years, i just yesterday popped a peach wine from 2016, was very good, i got melomels back to 2015, that i open 1 a year, got about 6 years to go, i use nomacroc select 900 #9 x 1 3/4 long, but i am looking for some nomacroc reserva 300, they are for 25 years,
Dawg

Well I've done 2 more things. I have some natural corks left so I Bottled a batch using half corks, half synthetics. I'll let you know in a year if there's a significant difference. I also asked for clarification from RJS. I'll see if I can source some nomacorcs in my location.
So I heard back from RJS, and was pleased to learn that their synthetics are made by Nomacorc.

So I heard back from RJS, and was pleased to learn that their synthetics are made by Nomacorc.
i used Flor corks for a few years, then @vacuumpumpman told me he had some aged wine some was naturel cork. what kind i don't know, and he said he had some nomacroc's on the others he told me each year he had tried each to see the difference, and both worked fine, so for a few years now i use only #9 by 1 3/4, nomacroc, then i read a post a week or two ago, they were getting nomacroc resereva, that's a wee bit bigger around and are rated for 25 years, the only hassle for me is i can only find them in 1000 lot size, $298. i reckon they'll keep i hope, i don't tend to bottle that many bottles a year, i use 200 to 400 corks a year, but as soon as i use up the almost 400 i got now, I'm going to buy me a 1000 lot, of nomaroc reserva,, i like drinking some wine, but i am a full blown addicted to making wines, this RJS what is their web address,
Skoal to all...
Dawg

i used Flor corks for a few years, then @vacuumpumpman told me he had some aged wine some was naturel cork. what kind i don't know, and he said he had some nomacroc's on the others he told me each year he had tried each to see the difference, and both worked fine, so for a few years now i use only #9 by 1 3/4, nomacroc, then i read a post a week or two ago, they were getting nomacroc resereva, that's a wee bit bigger around and are rated for 25 years, the only hassle for me is i can only find them in 1000 lot size, $298. i reckon they'll keep i hope, i don't tend to bottle that many bottles a year, i use 200 to 400 corks a year, but as soon as i use up the almost 400 i got now, I'm going to buy me a 1000 lot, of nomaroc reserva,, i like drinking some wine, but i am a full blown addicted to making wines, this RJS what is their web address,
Skoal to all...
Dawg
[email protected]
It's RJ Spagnols

Silly me, I bought 200 of them. The experiment begins today ; we Bottled an eclipse Lodi ranch cab.
wineh, do not worry at all. Information from SpoiledRotten is just ... spoiled/rotten. :) It is just not true if you buy good brand, like Nomacork. I am using them for years - close to 2000 bottles. More and more producers move to synthetic corks. They are better and better, and often superior to natural corks. It is easy to find information about that on Google. 👍

Latest posts

Back