Quantcast

synthetic corks

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

mainshipfred

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I just spoke to Scott Labs and Lafatite about the aging capabilities of their natural corks and got the same answer from both. I spoke to them because they are the only 2 places I know of that would be a reliable source of information. The response was 6-8 years and 5-7 years respectively no matter what the grade was and the only difference in the grading is the appearance. Now I don't know if there is any truth in what they said but to get the same answer from 2 reliable sources leads me to believe what they say. Although in my mind I would think the higher grade would allow the wine to age longer. But why would they say this, in a way it's telling me to buy the lower grade.

hounddawg

Dawg
Reaction score
very N.E. Arkansas in the instep of MO, BOOTHILL,,
Flor corks is the highest graded naturel cork, they are the longest shelf/closure cork harvested,, nomacrock reserva is rated for the longest syndetic cork, that i know of, I have and still do some Flor corks for any 10 year plus bottle, as soon as my nomacroc select 900's are gone ( 500 left ), I'll be using nomacroc reservra
Dawg

wineh

wino
Reaction score
I bit the bullet and bought the Italian floor corker with shiny Jaws. Bottled a batch on Saturday, so far so good. The horizontal test will be tomorrow.

hounddawg

Dawg
Reaction score
very N.E. Arkansas in the instep of MO, BOOTHILL,,
I bit the bullet and bought the Italian floor corker with shiny Jaws. Bottled a batch on Saturday, so far so good. The horizontal test will be tomorrow.
I've run my Italian floor corker for a few years now, only problem, I've ever had with it was,, I wasn't watching what i was doing when i was checking airlocks on my bulk aging and tripped over mine,,
Dawg

wineh

wino
Reaction score
I've run my Italian floor corker for a few years now, only problem, I've ever had with it was,, I wasn't watching what i was doing when i was checking airlocks on my bulk aging and tripped over mine,,
Dawg
LOL. It definitely has a bigger footprint than my old corker!