Swing tops for wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaitala

Reaction score
In many of those romantic "Jilted woman goes abroad and finds herself" type movies, you see wine in swing top bottles.

Is this anything anyone here does? It seems like it would be viable, and not require storing on it's side. Does it have to do with desirable oxygen infiltration? Or is it just staying true to tradition? Or something else entirely?

I actually love the aesthetic of the swing top bottles. And I'm cheap and don't like that I will have to keep buying corks. :)

Have to say I never saw those in a movie. For some reason I bought a case of 500 ml bottles like these. Don't use them much except if they fit a left over wine after racking. I don't see why they wouldn't work unless you give wine away and never see the bottles again.

When I lived in Europe, a simple "house wine" would often be served in a swing-type bottle. However, I did not have the impression that it was STORED in that bottle. Just filled from a larger vessel and brought to table, much like a carafe.

I've bottled fruit wines and ciders in swing top bottles with no issues but those are usually gone in a year. I bottled a super tuscan blend in swing tops about 6 months ago. It had been bulk aged for two years and I've been opening them periodically for drinking. I don't have any experience on long term storage but in the short term it's working well.

Latest posts

Back