Swenson Grapes, where do I make cuts next spring?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need some help with these Swenson vines, where should I make necessary cuts next spring. If there are any past guides available can you please share some links.
Thank you for any help.

swensongrapes.jpg

howdy and welcome to WMT.

Swenson grapes get pruned like all others, that means that fruit forms on one year old wood. The picture suggests a three year old vine/ lots of young growth. This year I start picking two healthy leaders and remove side shoots. I would protect it from rabbit damage over winter with fence (good). In spring before buds pop I choose one or two healthy stems to develop the plant around. Everything else is trimmed off. The two healthy stems are trained on a post and at the end on next summer hopefully there are two healthy arms on the trellis system.

Good luck! I really like Briana and use it as a fill in for empty spots, ,,, Edelweiss as a young plant would drop grapes at 15 brix, today they hang better and can get to 18 brix.

howdy and welcome to WMT.

Swenson grapes get pruned like all others, that means that fruit forms on one year old wood. The picture suggests a three year old vine/ lots of young growth. This year I start picking two healthy leaders and remove side shoots. I would protect it from rabbit damage over winter with fence (good). In spring before buds pop I choose one or two healthy stems to develop the plant around. Everything else is trimmed off. The two healthy stems are trained on a post and at the end on next summer hopefully there are two healthy arms on the trellis system.

Good luck! I really like Briana and use it as a fill in for empty spots, ,,, Edelweiss as a young plant would drop grapes at 15 brix, today they hang better and can get to 18 brix.
Do you find a benefit from training two trunks per vine? I guess I hadn’t noticed and thought most vineyards use a single trunk with two arms.

I’m adding a row of Brianna next year. I’ve had some really nice varietals at local vineyards.

Do you find a benefit from training two trunks per vine? I guess I hadn’t noticed and thought most vineyards use a single trunk with two arms.

I’m adding a row of Brianna next year. I’ve had some really nice varietals at local vineyards.
The main advantage is what if the rabbits get one trunk. I have most which are single trunk but typically start with two. , , , , , , ,Have you experimented with Briana?

The main advantage is what if the rabbits get one trunk. I have most which are single trunk but typically start with two. , , , , , , ,Have you experimented with Briana?
👍. I have yet to experiment with domestic grapes! That will be changing this year as I should be getting some to ferment thanks to another WMT member.

Latest posts

Back