Sweetnes/Dryness number

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFBREWING

Junior
Reaction score
I have been making beer for a while now and have the process off but now my wife would like me to make her a couple of batches of wine. I have a good handle on the process (in theory) and with a little practice should be able to (eventually) make some decent wine. The only thing that I need to know is how to determine how sweet or dry it is. Everyone is asking me "Is it a 1 or 2" How the heck do I know?

1 ST WELCOME !

Ignore the #.
Just like beer you make what you like. What is you favorite wine? What is your wife's favorite wine?
Make that.

I plan on making whatever we will drink. By "we" I mean SWMBO. But a lot of my family suffers from migranes and they need to know the sweetness so they know if they can drink it.

Migrains do not come from sweetness or sulfites rather the Tannin (skins) in the wine causes it.
If worried about family make a wine THEY like.
If you buy wine there is no such code on them (ie 1-5) only kits. Reason is they are assuming you know little of wine profiles. Kits also sell "patio" wines which are sweet and low on alcohol

I know about the tannins that is why I stear clear of red wine. But mom believes it is all about the sugar. I guess I will just make something up. But I am making a white merlot I'm thinking no skins less tannins. They should be able to drink it.

As far as I know , you can determine the sweetness of Wine in terms of the Hydrometer readings .

S.G. <1000 → Dry
S.G. from 1000 to 1010 → Medium Dry
S.G. from 1010 to 1020 → Medium Sweet
S.G. from 1020 to 1030 → Sweet
S.G. from 1030 to 1040 → Dessert Wine

The Wine should have been fermented out to Dryness and be stable . then you can measure the amount of Sugar to be added to the Wine in order to reach the desired Sweetness . Don't forget the Stabiliser ( Potassium Sorbate ) .

Back