Sweeter wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your correct, kit fpacs are added before bottling or even in the secondary.
Sometimes a finished product can give you a failed taste surprise,may be then.
If you use your hydrometer you should be able to predict the future of the wine.

This is the mentality that FoodSci taught, , build the food intentionally
1,it all depends on what your base wine is supposed to be in the end from the start.
2,making adjustments to the process is and should be done in the primary and secondary.
3, I'm a guy who always thinks outside the box. Balance starts in the beginning and ends in the secondary the rest is for clearing and time
It is frustrating when simple one or two variable rules aren’t in the textbook

So it was just brought to my attention that wine is supposed to "bubble" in the primary fermenter is this true? Mine isnt but its only been 4 days

wine is supposed to "bubble" in the primary fermenter is this true?
It is typical to have a light foam in the primary, I usually see this by 12 hours, heavy foam might happen with wild yeast.
It is typical to have CO2 bubbles generated and at a fairly good rate by one day.
If there has been a drop in gravity you likely have an unusually clean yeast doing fermentation. The key is sugar should be going down by day 4.

If you haven’t decreased gravity I would reinoculate.

With fermentation, temperature,yeast type and structure of the base all players in a roll, patience is the equalizer.

It is typical to have a light foam in the primary, I usually see this by 12 hours, heavy foam might happen with wild yeast.
It is typical to have CO2 bubbles generated and at a fairly good rate by one day.
If there has been a drop in gravity you likely have an unusually clean yeast doing fermentation. The key is sugar should be going down by day 4.

If you haven’t decreased gravity I would reinoculate.
Sorry super new t ok this whole thing sorry for all the questions what do you mean bye sugar should be going down my gravity started at 1.100 and my kit says it should drop to .997 It says ti let it sit in the primary for 14 days so i havent opened it in 5 days should I open and measure gravity

Sorry super new t ok this whole thing sorry for all the questions what do you mean bye sugar should be going down my gravity started at 1.100 and my kit says it should drop to .997 It says ti let it sit in the primary for 14 days so i havent opened it in 5 days should I open and measure gravity

Edward, as the yeast in your must consumes sugar, the specific gravity will drop. Essentially, the yeast eat sugar, burp out CO2 bubbles, and pee out alcohol. The time that it takes depends on several factors.If you aren't seeing bubbles and aren't seeing your hydrometer readings dropping, then your yeast are not doing their job. This could be caused by PH, temperature, or a number of other things. You are 4 days into this and the yeast should be doing something at this point. What temperature is the room where your fermenter is located? Give the must a stir and let us know what the SG at currently. Don't forget to sanitize your equipment before checking!

Edward, as the yeast in your must consumes sugar, the specific gravity will drop. Essentially, the yeast eat sugar, burp out CO2 bubbles, and pee out alcohol. The time that it takes depends on several factors.If you aren't seeing bubbles and aren't seeing your hydrometer readings dropping, then your yeast are not doing their job. This could be caused by PH, temperature, or a number of other things. You are 4 days into this and the yeast should be doing something at this point. What temperature is the room where your fermenter is located? Give the must a stir and let us know what the SG at currently. Don't forget to sanitize your equipment before checking!
I will go do that now!!! And sanitize

So I sanitized went to look I dont have a tall bracket so I had to put the hydrometer in the primary fermenter first off my temp of room was at 64 I raised it 4 hours ago to 72 and observed bubbling soon there after!! So since it sat for so long Is that bad for the wine and also it went from 1.100 to 1.850 so a improvement it's been less than half the time the instructions say so that's good I think? Thoughts

So I sanitized went to look I dont have a tall bracket so I had to put the hydrometer in the primary fermenter first off my temp of room was at 64 I raised it 4 hours ago to 72 and observed bubbling soon there after!! So since it sat for so long Is that bad for the wine and also it went from 1.100 to 1.850 so a improvement it's been less than half the time the instructions say so that's good I think? Thoughts
Temperature is important for sure, I keep my "wine room" at 74 degrees. It is good that your wine has responded well to the temperature change, I don't think you hurt anything by it being too cold, the yeast just went dormant for a little bit.You may want to double check your usage of the hydrometer, your specific gravity number should be getting smaller instead of larger. 1.100 being your start point and somewhere around .996 being your end point.

Temperature is important for sure, I keep my "wine room" at 74 degrees. It is good that your wine has responded well to the temperature change, I don't think you hurt anything by it being too cold, the yeast just went dormant for a little bit.You may want to double check your usage of the hydrometer, your specific gravity number should be getting smaller instead of larger. 1.100 being your start point and somewhere around .996 being your end point.
Sorry my bad it's at 1.085

Back