Sweeteners?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc294

Reaction score
What are the most common/best sweeteners? plain white sugar? high fructose corn syrup? what is easy? are there other alternatives?

After stabilising the wine with sulphite and sorbate I normally use plain table sugar.

Many winemakers over here in the netherlands and belgium use
sorbitol a non fermentable sugar, which is called over here 'sorbiet-suiker'

Luc

I don't have the option of going to the local brew shop until next week (at least). I have K-meta, and I do NOT have sorbate. I plan to rack today and add k-meta. Is this ok? Can I add the sorbate and table sugar next week? I want to get my wine off the lees today because my SG is dropping (very slowly, but dropping). I don't want any sulfa to develop. Another question: Is there a way I could bottle some of the wine unsweetened and then sweeten the rest?

Depends what it is and how it tastes. If its a white wine then ill use the simple syrup, if its a fruit wine and has god flavor then again Ill use the simple syrup but f it is lacking flavor Ill make up a flavor pack by simmering some fruit or fruit juice down to concentate the juice and add a little sugar and add that back for sweetening and flavor.

Depends what it is and how it tastes. If its a white wine then ill use the simple syrup, if its a fruit wine and has god flavor then again Ill use the simple syrup but f it is lacking flavor Ill make up a flavor pack by simmering some fruit or fruit juice down to concentate the juice and add a little sugar and add that back for sweetening and flavor.

Wade what is this syrup that you are talking about? do you make it, or do you buy it, if you make it how do you go about making it?

A simple syrup is just 2 parts sugar to 1 part water. Heat it on the stove and stir it until the sugar dissolves. That is a simple syrup. Just let cool a bit before you add it.

All it is is inverted sugar and exactly what Peagan said, it is basically a wine conditioner made at home much cheaper. Most wine supply stores sell this wine conditioner and they usually contain sorbate in them so that they dont ferment themselves.

want to get my wine off the lees today because my SG is dropping (very slowly, but dropping).

It makes no sense to add sorbate and sulphite to
a fermenting wine.

So just wait till fermentation stops, then rack.
Next let it clear and then add sulphite and sorbate and sweeten.

Luc

It makes no sense to add sorbate and sulphite to
a fermenting wine.

So just wait till fermentation stops, then rack.
Next let it clear and then add sulphite and sorbate and sweeten.

Luc

To clarify what I meant...I THOUGHT my SG was dropping. I had THOUGHT I saw it drop from 0.998 to 0.992. However, I realize that I had read it wrong that particular time. It actually was 0.998 (or REALLY close to it) every time. (operator error which I am guilty of frequently). So, the SG was stable and not moving for four days (almost five). The instructions I had said that when the SG is stable, then add the k-meta.

Also, in tasting a little sample (and from my family tasting it) everyone says that it is a bit "tart." which I am assuming is because it is so young.

:D Ordered all kinds of stuff online today. I realized I have about 3-4 quarts of fresh local blackberries in the freezer. So, I got pectic enzyme, sorbate, airlocks, and some other stuff. Now all I have to do is empty the 1 gallon jug of sangria that I have downstairs and I'll have myself a 1 gallon jug to make some more wine!! should be here 2-6 days.

The instructions I had said that when the SG is stable, then add the k-meta.

Start to relax a bit more and learn to have patience.
In situations where the wine has stopped fermenting there
is no need to hurry anything.
There is no 'timeframe', racking regime or whatever.

Start to learn to go by 'gut feeling' more as by instruction
manual.

Luc

Latest posts

Back