sweet wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven

Junior
Reaction score
I am making a sweet blush wine, the recipe that I'm using says to let the S.G. work down to 1.010, and then add one pound of sugar, let it work down again an add one more pound of sugar. The must started out at 1.120 S.G.. The alcohol should be around 17-18% when it is finised, and about 2% remaining sugar to sweeten the wine. Is this a good way make a sweet blush wine?

I am making a sweet blush wine, the recipe that I'm using says to let the S.G. work down to 1.010, and then add one pound of sugar, let it work down again an add one more pound of sugar. The must started out at 1.120 S.G.. The alcohol should be around 17-18% when it is finised, and about 2% remaining sugar to sweeten the wine. Is this a good way make a sweet blush wine?

NO it is not. What type of wine is this, if it is a fruit wine, this alcohol is way higher than it should be. If this is a grape, to be honest my preference is nothing over 14% I just think it tastes better.

You are better off starting with an sg of 1.080 or 1.090, let that ferment out, stabilize (k-meta and sorbate) and backsweeten to your liking.

You have been busy, this is a grape Black Spanish, that have been growing, about 150 plants I also have 150 Blanic Du Bois, which is a white. I have 7 gallons of the white dry going , it is looking good. I have already bottled 7 gallons of the Black Spanish dry, just letting it age in the bottle a bit longer. I'm doing the blush just because I had the grape. Trying a new style. Thank you, I will try the sorbate next time. Will let you know how this batch comes out.

Wow, that is going to be extremely hot as in lots of alc. Is that something you wanted cause Blush ines are usually around 11.5 abv instead of the 17 or 18 you will have.

I would not follow that recipe. How far gone are you in making this ?

It has fermented down 1.010 S.G. one time and I have added one pound of sugar.

Looking more like rocket fuel...!
I bet you will NOT like it when bottled

LOL it seems you all don't care for wine to have a good kick to it, guess you all aren't the types to like everclear and grapefruit juice, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who is making rocket fuel LOL

LOL it seems you all don't care for wine to have a good kick to it, guess you all aren't the types to like everclear and grapefruit juice, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who is making rocket fuel LOL
Everclear and Grapefruit juice is NOT wine. Now that may be a different forum.
Dont get me wrong I make Chelo (sp) w/ everclear

well what about fortified wines their not the normal strength....just curious what % is on alot of those

If its going to be hard like that then IMO its got to have a lot of body like a Port. When I make a Port style wine I add Light Malt extract to it to thicken it along with Chaptalization.

well what about fortified wines their not the normal strength....just curious what % is on alot of those

i've made fortified wines, but they actually are not noticeably alcoholic. just gotta make them heavy bodied, slightly sweeter (i can't drink sugar water) and push the alcohol up to where it isn't nasty. can't do that with allowing the yeast to get up that high. i like using bourbon as it gives it a nice up front taste and the burn from it is not there.

Latest posts

Back