sweet wine... Still sour?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icy

Junior
Reaction score
hi, im making sweet wine out of "duhat"(tropical berry), and its been 5 months, it tastes a little sour. Do i add sugar? Need your help.

Imgeussing yes as that usually takes the sourness away but I also have no clue what that fruit even is.

duhat

hi.

"duhat" is a fruit berry. Its almost like the blueberry which you have in th US.
Its peel is dark purple almost to black, its inside is reddish purple. It has a seed inside, this berry is just the size of a thumb. It actually from a tree, a really big one, and it seasons every 4-5 months, when it does the tree is covered with its fruits. The ground turns into deep purple from the fallen berries.

its actually a very common fruit here, barely even eaten. And people would just give it away.

The taste is sweet when its all ripe, but if you eat it early it tastes a little sour. The best thing about this fruit is that when you eat it, your tongue turns to purple.

Ill see if i can post a picture tomorrow.

That fruit sounds like Mullberries that we have in the U.S. They are the shape of rasberries or black berries but about half the size. And they to cover the the ground with a deep purple color. They also color the kids shoes and socks(mom doesn't like that at all).

Wade, almost woner if this type of berry could be prepared like a pomegranate. have no idea what it is, but am loking forward to learning more about it.

duhat

Hello,

Here's a picture of the fruit..i found it online...i didnt take pictures of the actual tree when it bloomed. but i hope this helps.

duhat.jpg

the ones in dark color are riped. the ones in red are not ready to eat yet.

Reply gone

hi, i made a reply regarding my posts are your inquiries. I also included a picture of the fruit duhat. But it seems its nowhere to be found? What do i do?post it again?

You need to have 10 or more posts on the site before links or pictures are allowed thru by the forums settings.I found that out too when I first got on the site.

It could be that the duhat wine just needs aging. The berries are really high in tannin, and the wine should stand up well to an extended time in the bottle. Unless you like sweet wine... I wouldn't expect it to taste good until aged at least a couple years.

For those that haven't tried it, Duhat is like an oblong cherry with a similar pit (seed), and rather astringent even when perfectly ripe. When ripe they're almost black and softer - not red. They grow in clusters like chokecherry, but on a large tree. I've only tried them once, and that was while hiking/climbing on Mindoro Island in the Philippines. They aren't the greatest eating berry because of their tartness, but probably a great wine berry.

Here's some info.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that.
sweet wine is my target though. But i have known and tasted duhat wines that were aged and really alcoholic. So high in alcohol that it burns. But my family aint those filipinos who spend all day drinking and getting drunk, so sweet wine is best choice for me. Heheh. Something to serve during gatherings.

Duhat is actually best eaten with salt. I hope you had that opportunity when you came to visit.

But my family aint those filipinos who spend all day drinking and getting drunk

I must admit, I've spent all day drinking and getting drunk on a few occasions while vacationing in Boracay. It's not a normal thing for us, honest! :p

Where are you in the Philippines? I've always wondered about the wine those wonderfully sweet mangoes would make if pressed. I bet their SG would be too high and you'd have to dilute it with buco juice or something. Yum yum (masarap!).

cdo

aha! I hope you had a wonderful time while u were on vacation;).

Im from cagayan de oro city to be exact. A very peaceful city and a nice place to visit for tourists and alike.

Speaking of mango wine, thats next on my list to make.

Coconut wine, a favorite amongst filipino farmers. Have u had these?
They're quite good when fresh or a day old, before they turn to vinegar.

I dont think there is a fruit that is too sweet that it must be diluted bau many of them have to be diluted to get the wine in balance due to ph or acid or something like that.

Wade, you just have to try a Philippine mango to believe it. They're nothing like the mango fruit we import from central/south America that look similar.

Philippine mangoes are like candy that grow on trees. Their juice is sticky like syrup. I've never taken an SG reading on the juice of the ripe fruit, but it wouldn't surprise me if my hydrometer didn't have the range to even measure it. :eek:

icy, I know where Cagayan de Oro is :) My wife was born in Iligan City. If you make pure juice from mangoes (the yellow flat ones), I'd love to know what your SG reading is and whether you have to dilute it with water or not. Yes, I've had the buco wine that I bought once at a road-side veggie stand somewhere in Batangas. I was lost at the time... and became more lost after drinking it! :D

Small world.

Your right, our mango is very different from the ones you get there. Once i bought mangoes from a grocery store in CA, i thought i was getting them really sweet. Sadly they seemed like too bland and needed sugar in them. But anyway, like you mentioned, our mangoes are sweet and very juicy.
I'll probably start my mango batch when the prices are lower, in a couple of weeks or so. Then ill see if i can share my discoveries.

You must understand we dont have wine shops here, you know selling wine kits or other wine equipments. So ill do my best to make a good batch. I'll probably be using old methods in these.

Speaking of buko, we had some earlier today. We have 8 coconut trees in our backyard. Not that im bragging, just wanted to share. Anyone who wants buko juice, please just come over and help yourselves.

Ok, I would love for you to gat an sg reading from 1 of those mangos when you get a chance. Not that I dont believe but because you have me very curious now.

Latest posts

Back