sweet cab & sweet merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyleah

Junior
Reaction score
smiley19.gif
i have 10 gals. cab & 10 gals. merlot that i believe did not ferment to dryness. the wine tastes good but sweet. is it possible to fix the wine. its still in the carboys. its about 1 1/2 years old. i'd hate to loose it.

tony

If you have stablized it, i.e., added sulphite and sorbate, I don't know if you can "fix" your wine. If you have not stabilized it, you could try to re-ferment it. You could also make some more wine and blend the two together to get a more dry wine.

I am curious as to if some of the other users have some better ideas?

tonyleah, assuming this was not from a kit, and you did not stablize yet, I agree with George to attempt to re-ferment a small portion and once active, then addto it, etc....

its from fresh juice. i have the required amount of sulfite in it, but i did not put any sorbate in it. i'm going to tryto referment 5 gals to see how it turns out. if all goes well, i'll do the rest.

thanks for your help

tonyEdited by: tonyleah

Pour, yes, pourit into a primary fermenting bucket and stir stir stir. Test acid and adjust if necessary. Be sure it is about 70-75*F. Add 1 tsp. yeast nutrient per gallon. You might even pour it back and forth between 2 buckets a few times. Yes, this will introduce air into the wine, but will get rid of alot of the sulphite, and aerating will actually help a new fermentation get started. I would pitch a fresh pack of Lalvin EC-1118 yeast directly on top of the wine.

Good luck!

Back