Swarm traps.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadmaker1

Reaction score
Each spring I put out boxes very much like large bird houses. When bees swarm they are looking for a home, they like a certain size and I put frames in them for bees to draw out comb on. I put old comb in them for scent along with some other scents that I buy and make.
When I first heard of doing this I doubted the reality of the process.
This is my first catch this year.
My 12th total, tonight I will go slide a sceen acoss the door and bring those ladies home. Screenshot_2018-05-12-19-27-26.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-05-12-19-27-26.png
    Screenshot_2018-05-12-19-27-26.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Went to pick it up tonite and found another swarm hanging from the bottom.
So I scooped it into another box set up that I had with me.
Sure glad I took someone with meScreenshot_2018-05-12-23-47-07.png

Very much the same.
The lay persons understanding and interpretation of whats happening and why are usually way off.
And success is measured from begining to end, not the smsll successes along the way.
I wonder how many folks would make wine if yeast came storming out to inflect pain every time you took a peak or punched the cap.

To tell an old secret, when I was 12 years old I was a card carrying member of the NJ Beekeepers Association. Used to go to their meeting and everything.

I did this for about 2 years and stopped the minute I discovered girls. "Hey babe, do you want to see my hive" did not seem to be such a great opening line.

Had 3 hives at one time. Great yield. Got 80 lbs of honey per hive.

Still have not figured out what to do with 240 pounds of honey.

Sell it to wine makers.
Im hoping to sell bees next sprimg.
80 lbs per is amazimg. We do 25 to 30 per here.
Leaving feed for winter.
Ive caught two more since posting pics, up to four catches. And a guy near me wants two hives removed from an old house.

You ever have any problems out there with varroa mites? A friend of mine who used to keep them never did, but when they came to inspect his hive each year they were always amazed he didn't have issues. The last year he had them, they swarmed in the Spring and he couldn't capture them, they went too far up in a tree and had relocated to an undisclosed location within a few days. He was sad, so was I as his honey was amazingly good!

He could have used one of your boxes.

I try to stay on top of swarm cells but swarms get away from me too. The up side is im left with a new queen.
Don't know that I've ever caught my own bees but swarm boxes work. Kind of like fishing. With 10 poles and 4 lakes at once.

Verroa are a matter of fact. I treat for them every year sometimes twice a year.
Not treating for them would compare to not ever rinsing or cleaning your racking cane.

Latest posts

Back