Survey: vacuum chamber for wine degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winedegasser

Vendor
Reaction score
You can buy pressure cookers for $20, $30 dollars any where but most vacuum chambers cost more than $150 and are very difficult to find.

So I am thinking developing a vacuum chamber for wine makers, using thick, unbreakable material of course. However I am not sure how many people would want to buy them and how much would you like to spend.

Can you tell me how much you would spend (including shipping). This will help me decide if it's worth the initial cost to develop it. Thank you very much!

A). $0
B). Under $50
C). Between $50 and $100
D). Between $100 and $150

Last edited:
What's wrong with using a carboy? The glass is strong enough for the vacuum that we generally pull and you don't need to rack the wine to a special vessel.

I would have no need for a special vacuum degassing chamber. Why reinvent the wheel? Many gravity splash rack, vacuum splash rack, vacuum degas in same carboy or simply allow time to take care of it. My funds can definitely be spent elsewhere.

What would be the advantage of a vacuum chamber over a vacuum created in the headroom of a carboy for the purposes of degassing wine?

What would be the advantage of a vacuum chamber over a vacuum created in the headroom of a carboy for the purposes of degassing wine?

Vacuum chamber can withstand higher vacuum than a carboy. Higher vacuum means shorter time to degas. But it seems that not many people are interested...

My knowledge of physics is Scottish secondary school but wouldn't Boyle's Law suggest that if you decrease the pressure (by creating a greater vacuum ) more of the wine is likely to boil (change from liquid to gas) and wouldn't that suggest that the most volatile molecules in the wine - that is those providing aroma and flavors - are more likely to be removed from the wine with the CO2. or is my memory of physics way off base?

I use about 20-25" and it only takes at most 10 minutes to degas. How much faster could it take? I have no idea why anyone would let it run for days. Sometimes I think I am overdoing it too once those bubbles change.
Am I wrong?

My knowledge of physics is Scottish secondary school but wouldn't Boyle's Law suggest that if you decrease the pressure (by creating a greater vacuum ) more of the wine is likely to boil (change from liquid to gas) and wouldn't that suggest that the most volatile molecules in the wine - that is those providing aroma and flavors - are more likely to be removed from the wine with the CO2. or is my memory of physics way off base?

Your are absolutely right. I actually created another post to talk about the temperature and vacuum:
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f71/vacuum-degassing-how-much-vacuum-should-i-pull-why-37517/

Latest posts

Back