Quantcast

Surprise

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Sage

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
A couple nights back I got a phone call from the neighbors. They said the bottle of white I'd given them to try a long time back was outstanding. My neighbor is also a wine maker, we trade a lot and his tastes are usually very different from mine. I about fell out of the chair.

It just so happened that I was trying some I had just bottled and told my wife it was raw and bad, just like last years. That was my first try at whites. I said that's it, I'm not a fan of whites and no use bothering with it after 2 lousy batches. Then I got the call.

As soon as I hung up I went to the pantry and grabbed a bottle of white I'd brought up to try one last time. Wow, time had worked some magic on that stuff. I also thought it was pretty good!

Maybe I will make another batch. 6 bottles of the 15 left.

bkisel

Reaction score
Can't argue with success!

How long had the wine aged? In my experience my whites come along faster than my reds.

Sage

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
1 year. It was a '15 and I just bottled the '16.

Mismost

Reaction score
I got lucky and learned that on my second batch of wine...a frozen apple juice creation that was simple horrible. But, I needed the practice, so I bottled it and stashed it in a closet. Forgot about it. A year goes by and a friend was over and had brought some nasty store bought white crap she likes. So, I dug out a bottle of my nasty crap.

She loved it! Well, she does like crap I thought, but I tried it. WOW! I could not believe how much better that wine had become. No apple flavor to speak of, but a real nice crisp white wine. I'm just now getting to where I can get some age on some stuff. My wife is no help....this morning she wanted a bottle of that "White Rabbit" stuff to take to work....it's a Gerwurztaminer or however you spell it, I can't even say it! Bottled in April and only 3 bottles left now. Oh well...happy wife:h